Windows Home Server?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows Home Server?

Post by Skippman »

Does anyone here have any experience with Windows Home Server? I'm contemplating going from 2000 Server to Home Server for my home network to simplify things and improve compatability. One of the features I find most appealing is the native support for Media Streaming to X360 consoles and support for Shadow Copy.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Windows Home Server?

Post by Skippman »

Seriously? No one here's ever used/seen Home Server?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

nope, not me. Sorry
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

It essentially Vista with an updated Kernel, or a stripped down version of Windows 2008.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... /eval.mspx

Download and try for 120 days :)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I think I might, I'm going to have to reinstall my servers OS here soon when I swap out it's last PATA for a SATA drive. The boot sectors been flacky lately anyway. Maybe this would finally fix the dang lack of widescreen support in 2K.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

dicecca112 wrote:It essentially Vista with an updated Kernel, or a stripped down version of Windows 2008.
Isn't it a stripped down version of Windows Server 2003?
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Personally I don't care what it's a stripped down version of if it'll let me stream my MKV files without dropping out like TVersity does after 15 minutes. It's been driving me nuts. How the heck am I supposed to enjoy my Anime if it drops right in the middle of it?

I mean sure my 24" monitors OK for most things but from time to time you need the 62" TV!
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

why not use a server oriented linux distro?
i can testify that centOS is awesome :D
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Skippman wrote:Personally I don't care what it's a stripped down version of if it'll let me stream my MKV files without dropping out like TVersity does after 15 minutes. It's been driving me nuts. How the heck am I supposed to enjoy my Anime if it drops right in the middle of it?

I mean sure my 24" monitors OK for most things but from time to time you need the 62" TV!
Do you have Tversity set-up to transcode the MKV? If yes, then Windows Home Server isn't gonna solve that issue. If your files aren't already compatible with the Xbox 360, the built-in media streaming function isn't gonna do jack. I use Tversity for streaming compatible files to my PS3 and I haven't experienced any drop outs. Media transcoding is disabled.
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

hnzw_rui wrote:
Skippman wrote:Personally I don't care what it's a stripped down version of if it'll let me stream my MKV files without dropping out like TVersity does after 15 minutes. It's been driving me nuts. How the heck am I supposed to enjoy my Anime if it drops right in the middle of it?

Do you have Tversity set-up to transcode the MKV? If yes, then Windows Home Server isn't gonna solve that issue. If your files aren't already compatible with the Xbox 360, the built-in media streaming function isn't gonna do jack. I use Tversity for streaming compatible files to my PS3 and I haven't experienced any drop outs. Media transcoding is disabled.
Yes, it's set up to transcode. I get 15 minutes of flaweless, uninterrupted playback of MKV on my X-360 then it suddenly, and for no reason gets stuck in a buffering loop. It buffers for 30 sec, shows another 1 second of video, then repeats. I've never gotten any help with this on the Tversity forum. The best I can figure is it's a problem with the UDP packets which 2000 Server doesn't officially support.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

martini161 wrote:why not use a server oriented linux distro?
and ive just confirmed you can stream to xbox 360 with fairly minimal effort in linux. so why not get CentOS? it is a free clone of redhat (its literally the exact same thing minus the redhat artwork and branding, hell the first time you run firefox the redhat page comes up :lol: ) so you get the most widley used and stable server OS on the planent, and xbox media streaming to boot.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Skippman wrote:Yes, it's set up to transcode. I get 15 minutes of flaweless, uninterrupted playback of MKV on my X-360 then it suddenly, and for no reason gets stuck in a buffering loop. It buffers for 30 sec, shows another 1 second of video, then repeats. I've never gotten any help with this on the Tversity forum. The best I can figure is it's a problem with the UDP packets which 2000 Server doesn't officially support.
One thing I'm pretty sure of, unless you can run Tversity under Windows Home Server or there's a plug-in similar to it, you won't be getting your anime fansubs on your Xbox 360. Unless, of course, you're fine watching anime without subtitles. Don't you have a Vista PC? Try running Tversity on that and see if that solves your drop issue.

I've gone from DVP642 (2005~07) -> DVP5960 (2007~08) -> PS3 (2008~present) -> Popcorn Hour (2008~present) trying to play back online content on the TV. The Popcorn Hour came closest when it comes to format support but I've finally come to the conclusion nothing beats a PC flexibility-wise and will be building an HTPC once the Zotac 9300 mini-ITX board becomes available.

unRAID Server
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

martini161 wrote:
martini161 wrote:why not use a server oriented linux distro?
and ive just confirmed you can stream to xbox 360 with fairly minimal effort in linux. so why not get CentOS? it is a free clone of redhat (its literally the exact same thing minus the redhat artwork and branding, hell the first time you run firefox the redhat page comes up :lol: ) so you get the most widley used and stable server OS on the planent, and xbox media streaming to boot.
Because I hate Linux with a passion? I have ever since I had to take principles of hardware and software when I was in junior college. It's just a very difficult O/S to use unless you're a programmer or can think like one which is a problem for me. I tried running both Mandrake and Fedora in the past and could never get the shares to work right with the other PC's on my network.
hnzw_rui wrote: One thing I'm pretty sure of, unless you can run Tversity under Windows Home Server or there's a plug-in similar to it, you won't be getting your anime fansubs on your Xbox 360. Unless, of course, you're fine watching anime without subtitles. Don't you have a Vista PC? Try running Tversity on that and see if that solves your drop issue.
I do indeed have a Vista Ultimate PC. I could try that. I prefer to watch my anime in English. The days of extremely poor dubs are long gone. With voice actors like Chris Patton, Luci Christinson, Hillary Haag, Chrispen Freemen, and Wendy Lee it's really not nessicary to read my anime anymore.

I just want to be able to watch Black Lagoon and Desert Punk on my home theater. When the new NVidia boxes come out I'll move to them, but for now my X-360 and PS3 are the only options I have without going to a dedicated HTPC.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Skippman wrote: Because I hate Linux with a passion? I have ever since I had to take principles of hardware and software when I was in junior college. It's just a very difficult O/S to use unless you're a programmer or can think like one which is a problem for me.
you take that back! BLASPHEMER! :lol:
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

martini161 wrote:
Skippman wrote: Because I hate Linux with a passion? I have ever since I had to take principles of hardware and software when I was in junior college. It's just a very difficult O/S to use unless you're a programmer or can think like one which is a problem for me.
Hey, you're welcome to set this thing up if you want to! I just want the blasted thing to work.

I'm going to download and try out Home Server and see if it does what I need. If so, then my problems are solved. If not, I guess I'll have to wait until the NVidia boxes come up and then pick up a couple of them.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Skippman wrote:
martini161 wrote:
Hey, you're welcome to set this thing up if you want to! I just want the blasted thing to work.

I'm going to download and try out Home Server and see if it does what I need. If so, then my problems are solved. If not, I guess I'll have to wait until the NVidia boxes come up and then pick up a couple of them.
sure, just open up some of those ports on your router and id be glad to vpn on over :lol: :snakeman:
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

martini161 wrote: sure, just open up some of those ports on your router and id be glad to vpn on over :lol: :snakeman:
I hate you. :lol:
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Skippman wrote:I do indeed have a Vista Ultimate PC. I could try that. I prefer to watch my anime in English. The days of extremely poor dubs are long gone. With voice actors like Chris Patton, Luci Christinson, Hillary Haag, Chrispen Freemen, and Wendy Lee it's really not nessicary to read my anime anymore.

I just want to be able to watch Black Lagoon and Desert Punk on my home theater. When the new NVidia boxes come out I'll move to them, but for now my X-360 and PS3 are the only options I have without going to a dedicated HTPC.
Alas, most of what I watch are still not available on DVD so it's either fansub or Japanese raw. Since you don't care for subtitles, why not just strip it down to elementary video and audio streams and remux to a format playable by the Xbox 360/PS3? Or maybe run a batch encoding job overnight. That's what I used to do for the DVP642/5960.

unRAID Server
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

hnzw_rui wrote:
Skippman wrote:I do indeed have a Vista Ultimate PC. I could try that. I prefer to watch my anime in English. The days of extremely poor dubs are long gone. With voice actors like Chris Patton, Luci Christinson, Hillary Haag, Chrispen Freemen, and Wendy Lee it's really not nessicary to read my anime anymore.

Alas, most of what I watch are still not available on DVD so it's either fansub or Japanese raw. Since you don't care for subtitles, why not just strip it down to elementary video and audio streams and remux to a format playable by the Xbox 360/PS3? Or maybe run a batch encoding job overnight. That's what I used to do for the DVP642/5960.
I'd thought about that, but we're talking over 400GB worth of data to have all of my stuff converted. Plus since it's all in MKV format my friends who want to watch it in Japanese w/ subs can still do so on my or thier PC's. Part of me feels like that wouldn't be solving the problem, simply working around it.

I think the thing that frustrates me the most is not knowing WHY the server just suddenly drops the ball. I mean if it happened right away that would make sense and either the system couldn't transcode fast enough or there wasn't enough bandwidth on my network. Being 15 min in then just dropping... it's bugging the crap out of me. There's no logical explination for it that I can think of. I'm running 2G of RAM but maybe thats not enough?
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

400GB is small, relatively speaking (check sig :roll: ). Internal 500GB hard drives are in the range of USD50~60 nowadays. Albeit, further discussion of remuxing/batch encoding is a bit useless until you've establish that Tversity's causing the problem and not Windows 2000. If Tversity works fine under Vista, it's a moot point since you could just carry on using Tversity as normal. The only advantage to WHS, I think, is the automatic back-up functionality.

Question, does it always crap out after 15 min or does the time change? Bitrate and complexity varies throughout the video. If you're hitting action/fast-motion scenes after 15 minutes, then it's quite possible it's dropping out because the CPU can't encode fast enough. Last I remember, Tversity only uses one core for encoding.

unRAID Server