Windows 7 Wishlist

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows 7 Wishlist

Post by Major_A »

I haven't personally installed Windows 7 but here is my wishlist.

1) Have the ability to do a "custom" install. Like with most software you can choose some things that it will or will not install. Look at the popularity of nLite and vLite. If Windows allowed us to customize our installations we wouldn't need 3rd party applications.

2) Make simple network file sharing easy again. Setting up a share in Vista is a huge pain in the butt compared to XP.

3) Do no offer a 32-bit version of the operating system. Sometimes you have to force change. What better way to do this than the largest OS manufacturer to push people toward new tech. This would also help consolidate software issues and allow more software writers to write better apps that take advantage of the technology.

4) Do not require IE to be installed to get Windows Updates. If it weren't for Windows Update I wouldn't ever see IE's GUI.

5) Drop support for Vista almost immediately after Windows 7 release. This will force people to upgrade to the new OS and give software writers more incentive to focus on the new OS.

Thoughts? Additions?
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Windows 7 Wishlist

Post by Skippman »

Well having just bought Vista if Microsoft EOL'd two OS's so close together I think it'd tick quite a few people off fast, myself being one of them.

Bring back the old file system of >XP. I hate file navigation in Vista. For instance the "Downloads" folder isn't under the user profiles, it's under C:\Program Files\Downloads making it a pain to find unless you open your "profile" in Vista.

Get rid of the %*&#*& Windows Advisor! YES IM SURE I WANT TO COPY THAT FILE!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I own two copies of Vista and they are sitting collecting dust. I've installed Vista several times and have gone back to XP every single time. I eventually get fed up with the bloatedness of Vista and it's navigation. The straw that broke the camel's back this last install was F.E.A.R. 2. I bought it off of STEAM and went to play it. It would crash every time I went to load the first level. I reinstalled XP x86 (because XP x64 has less support than Vista x64) and lost 1GB of my system RAM. Although I lost a GB of physical RAM I gained a GB since my OS isn't using far too many resources.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Skippman wrote:Well having just bought Vista if Microsoft EOL'd two OS's so close together I think it'd tick quite a few people off fast, myself being one of them.
If you get Windows like I do then it isn't that much of an issue.

Me - University of Houston
XP Pro - $7
Office XP Pro - $21

Cousin - Texas A&M
Vista Ultimate - $7
Office 2007 Pro - $28

I confess to being a dumb*** and wanted to be an early adopter. I bought Home Premium in January of the launch year for $180 and almost immediately had buyer's remorse. By the time Windows 7 comes out my younger sister will be in school University of Texas and I should be able to get her to pickup Windows and Office for less than a tank of gas.

pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

1. I can strongly agree with number one. This though can add to people complaining that something is working right after they did a custom install.

2. I don't sharing in vista is that hard, right click on a folder, click sharing, advance sharing, check "share this folder" set up your share name and permissions.

3. I disagree on you third option. There are to many types of customers with different needs. Whats wrong with having more options.

4. I use firefox and almost never IE7. I say almost because some websites do not work with fire fox.

5. wo this is just craziness. There are people just adopting vista because it takes years to accredited a piece of software especially an OS. Alot of big customers would be pissed off.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Even Atom processors have 64-bit support. There isn't a CPU today that doesn't have the ability to run in a 64-bit OS. Like with the switch to digital signals sometimes customers need to be forced to change. There wasn't an option for 16-bit Windows 95. Either you had the ability to run the new OS or you had to stick with Windows 3.1.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I like the "force 64bit windows" idea. That way all software would be created for x64 instead of just some software. I don't think they should drop Vista support so soon. I don't want to have to upgrade my OS less than one year of buying the damn thing! Now, if they were dropping vista support, they should allow users to upgrade to windows 7 for free from vista.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Or instead of free simply offer a price break. Hell even MS knows that Vista is big steaming pile of poo.