Linux me!

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Linux me!

Post by vicaphit »

I would like to start thinking about putting xubuntu or some other distro of linux onto an EEE. Anyone have any suggestions for a user friendly distro for a newbie?

For someone who knows absolutely nothing about linux, what will I need to consider? What programs will I need? I know that EXEs don't work the same with linux, and I plan on installing some older games on the EEE.

Anyone know if starcraft or diablo will work in linux?

Basically, I want to know what I might run into since I am so used to Windows.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Linux me!

Post by dicecca112 »

Simple, EEEubuntu, its called easypeasy now, but still http://www.geteasypeasy.com/
pingu
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by pingu »

Any flavor of Ubuntu is very user friendly and doesn't take too much getting used to. I doubt Starcraft/Diablo run natively in linux, but there is a windows emulator called Wine that will almost certainly run the two games (because they're older and more popular).

Good luck. My best advice is to stick with it because you're going to want to change back within the first week because you don't know where everything is, but it'll click eventually.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

dicecca112 wrote:Simple, EEEubuntu, its called easypeasy now, but still http://www.geteasypeasy.com/
What he said :mrgreen:

I know from experience that starcraft works well with wine but IDK about diablo...you can get a general idea of how well a game will run in wine here
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Thanks for the link Alathald, I had been to the Wine website, but didn't see the DB of programs.

Most of the programs I would use are there, and atleast listed gold.

So I have easypeasy (I assume wine works with it), and I am getting Wine, anything else I need?
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

anything and everything you might need will be in your repos :)