Having some trouble with my kernel..

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Having some trouble with my kernel..

Post by martini161 »

Thought id see if i could get some help here before i moved on to a dedicated linux forum:
I just got done recompling/reinstalling my servers kernel, mostly just disabled uncecesary drivers etc and increased timer resolution. when i try to boot my kernel panics. The odd thing though is that idont see any errors before this. all i get is 'kernel paniced! tryed to kill init not syncing or something along those lines
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Having some trouble with my kernel..

Post by dicecca112 »

unless you can get us more info from the logs (doubtful), it sounds like your compile of your kernel removed something you needed. FWIW, kernel compilation doesn't give you as much performance boosts as it once did, as most distros have there server kernels optimized as much as possible
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Having some trouble with my kernel..

Post by martini161 »

dicecca112 wrote:unless you can get us more info from the logs (doubtful), it sounds like your compile of your kernel removed something you needed. FWIW, kernel compilation doesn't give you as much performance boosts as it once did, as most distros have there server kernels optimized as much as possible
yeah, the only reason i recompiled was so i could raise the timer resolution stuff to get higher FPS on the tf2 server its running. ill go through again sometime and be more conservative in what i remove