Done

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Done

Post by DX »

Because it is way more of a pain in the ass to get working correctly. I'm still working on this POS of an OS trying to get it up and running. Correctly.
Last edited by DX on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Linux server will never beat Windows

Post by martini161 »

not if you have any clue what your doign it wont. i got a fully functional LAMP server up and running hosting a website, HLstatsx and a php forum in less than 3-4 hours
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

You do realize that at one time Hotmail was run on Linux Servers. Most of Googles infrastructure isn't Windows as well. Show me a Windows Server that has more than 200days uptime and I'll be shocked. We have some Linux Servers in work that are going on 3 years uptime.

Instead of posting weird threads like you have in the past two days DX why don't you post your issues an we can help you. There are a fair amount of knowledgeable Linux guys here.
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

I have a XP box that has been running for over a year now without a reboot and hasn't got any memory leaks though it is running Teamspeak.

Right now the issues I have is that many of the tutorials that I find on the net don't seem to work. I find a set of commands and they either don't work or work differently on Ubuntu. Then there is the fact that just about every command has to have a SUDO in it. I mean its so bad that I just type that before every command now cause the command if it happens to be correct will only run if it is super user.

Right now I have the php and sql running but I can't get to it from other machines on the local network. It will come up fine as local host on the server. At least as localhost it tells me "It works."
Last edited by DX on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

If you're going to be using a linux server you might want to learn the ins and outs of terminal commands (ie BASH) first. At the very least read this. No matter how good you are with Windows you can't really expect to pick up a whole new OS in a day.

As for the sudo complaint, you can use sudo su to switch to superuser mode if you've got lots of superusing to do. Just be careful to not continue using it when done because one wrong command can royally mess you up.

Networking is not a particularly strong suit for me so I should probably leave the rest to someone else...
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

I had been putting off linux for a year. If it wasn't for the fact that I have to use really old cast off equipment I would be using windows. However I will openly admit that I would need to built a machine with way more juice to get what I need done. The biggest problem I'm running into is any real consistency when it comes to reading stuff from the net even when its supposed to be on the same flavor of Linux. I mean it would be one thing if it was say Suse stuff I was reading and trying to apply it to Ubuntu but even when it is supposedly the same flavor I'm running into these frustrating conflicts in the tutorials. It is making it very difficult for me to appreciate the fact that Linux is efficient.

I have well over 20 years experience working with a variety of OSs and networking. And while all had their quirks and difficulties I simply haven't ever run into the mess I'm finding my self in with Ubuntu. I hate feeling near completely lost in the OS. It hasn't been this bad since I first started working with the old Atari OS on my first computer. I literally knew nothing. And Linux seems to be actively thwarting my efforts to get it working as I need.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I agree it is kind of frustrating at first because their is hardly ever one 'right' way of doing things in Linux like there is in Windows. Usually the methods will range from rudimentary hacks to CLI tools to fully integrated GUIs but once you get used to that it gives you a lot of freedom as well. What I usually do when working through a new program install is go to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and click search. Normally I just do a Name search but might expand to Name and Description if Name isn't finding what I need. Eg. a search for php yields this (after a bit of scrolling down).
You just click the checkbox and apply. Now a quick skimming of the manpage is in order. Just open a terminal and type man php5 (you can use tab for autocompletion). Then google anything you didn't understand in the manpages, ubuntuforums.org is a great place to start.

The main thing to remember is that if you're installing something it's much easy to find in synaptic than compile from source.
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

I have gotten that far. I have the PHP, mysql and the php manager up. I can pull up the php test summary that shows the versions of what I'm running. But I still can't get it to serve up further than the localhost.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

i dont like ubuntu either, try CentOS. its redhat minus the branding