Windows 7 RC Is Out!! Download Away!!

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windows 7 RC Is Out!! Download Away!!

Post by Apoptosis »

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nload.aspx

Here's what you need to know:
This is pre-release software, so please read the following to get an idea of the risks and key things you need to know before you try the RC.

* You don't need to rush to get the RC. The RC will be available at least through July 2009 and we're not limiting the number of product keys, so you have plenty of time.
* Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use. (Learn more about installing Windows.)
* Protect your PC and data. Be sure to back up your data and please don't test the RC on your primary home or business PC.
* Tech details/updates: Before installing the RC, please read the Release Notes and Things to Know for important information about the release.
* Keep up with the news. You can keep up with general technical information and news by following the team blog. And, you can get non-technical news, tips, and offers by subscribing to the monthly Exploring Windows newsletter.
* Keep your PC updated: Be sure to turn on automatic updates in Windows Update in case we publish updates for the RC.

Installation: You can install the Windows 7 RC on a PC running Windows Vista without backing up the PC—but we encourage you to make a backup for safe keeping. If you’re running Windows XP or the Windows 7 Beta, you’ll need to backup your data, then do a clean installation of the RC, then reinstall your applications and restore your data. If you need to do a backup, please see How to back up your PC for more details and a suggestion for how to backup a PC running Windows 7 Beta or Windows Vista.
* To install and use the RC, you'll need to know how to:
o Troubleshoot problems. You're pretty much flying solo, so you'll need to handle your own tech support, and rely on other RC testers for their know-how
o Burn an ISO file to make an installation DVD
o Install Windows
o Backup and restore your PC
o Set up a network
o Create and use a system recovery disk
* To learn more about the Windows 7 RC, see Frequently asked questions.

Here's what you need to have:

* Internet access (to download Windows 7 RC and get updates)
* A PC with these system requirements:
o 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
o 1 GB RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
o 16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit)
o DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Please note these specifications could change. And, some product features of Windows 7, such as the ability to watch and record live TV or navigation through the use of "touch," may require advanced or additional hardware.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Windows 7 RC Is Out!! Download Away!!

Post by pwcmed »

I was up around 1 am last night and remembered about it. I actually got it from a news group last week but I feel safer getting it from Microsoft.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I put Win7 on my EEE 1000ha, and it runs pretty well. I am impressed.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I noticed issues with a long delay when right clicking on the desktop. For those with Nvidia cards, here is how to fix it:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100 ... #100643552
I had a hunch that the Nvidia Control Panel was the root issue. So I removed the Control Panel from the Context menu:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex

Delete: NvCplDesktopContext key and all is good, now right click is fast as ever. If you need the Nvidia Controle Panale all you have to do is select it from Programs and Features.

Ok now the fun part; for all of you who want the context menu this is how you add it back without the delay:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell

then Right click on Sell and add new Key: Name that key Nvidia Control Panel

Then Right Click on that new Key and add a new Key: Name this Key Command

Then with the new key Command selected in the right hand pane double click the Default Value Key and type: c:\windows\system32\nvcplui.exe

This will fix your Context issue....

This is how the key will look: (By the way you can copy all of that out and past in a text document and rename to .reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Nvidia Control Panel]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Nvidia Control Panel\Command]
@="c:\\windows\\system32\\nvcplui.exe"
Joe
skier

Post by skier »

i initially thought RC1 had nvidia drivers autoinstalled like build 7000, but no, lol i'm downloading now

apparently without the drivers i still get a steady 90fps on high settings in TF2, lol
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
skier

Post by skier »

why does RC1 not have the option for 1440x900, it is a very common setting compared to some that ARE listed(a majority of 19" wides use that res), you shouldn't have to 'create your own' for something that should be there already :roll:
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Sapientun
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sapientun »

Installed it on my lappy. Not bad at all, honestly. Feels much like Vista.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Sapientun wrote:Installed it on my lappy. Not bad at all, honestly. Feels much like Vista.
Yeah I got it on a netbook with 2GB of memory and an Intel Atom processor and it runs fine.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I just tried to put the 64bit version on my netbook. I guess the Atom is not a 64bit processor... That sucks!
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit