Windows 7 Has Catastrophic Bug

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows 7 Has Catastrophic Bug

Post by pwcmed »

I wouldn't say it's catastrophic but dailytech is here

http://www.dailytech.com/Catastrophic+B ... e15901.htm

But another site is says that its not that bad here

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/0 ... -flaw.html

Short story is that if your run chkdsk with the r switch it will consume a lot of memory and than blue screen. Oh and it has to happen with two hard drives installed. I say it's not a show stopper and need to hurry and send me my 6 copies that I bought.

I can't even remember that last time I ran chkdsk let alone with the r switch. I think the last time I did it is when a Colonel was writing an investigation and saving it to a floppy. To his surprise it stopped working. I wasn't surprised because we were in Iraq at the time and I think you can imagine theirs a lot of sand and dust out there. It got everywhere!
nightblood
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Windows 7 Has Catastrophic Bug

Post by nightblood »

That is not that bad of a bug.
I remember when quicktime had an update that if you have D: partition it would format it. Now that is a bad bug.
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Windows 7 Has Catastrophic Bug

Post by Kougar »

Since ya brought up this old thread I guess I'll pitch in. Microsoft's Steven Sinofsky says this is by design, not a bug. And only the one individual seemed able to reproduce the actual crash:
In this case, we haven’t reproduced the crash…. [T]he design was to use more memory on purpose to speed things up, but never unbounded — we requset [sic] the available memory and operate within that leaving at least 50M of physical memory. Our assumption was that using /r means your disk is such that you would prefer to get the repair done and over with rather than keep working.
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water