Windows 7 Release Candidate

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows 7 Release Candidate

Post by Nobahar »

Apparently you can still get keys for it off the Microsoft website. It's valid until June, 2010 but starts rebooting itself every 2 hours in March. That's still awhile, but they took the download link down last week and I can't find a mirror of the 64-bit version anywhere. Torrent websites have some of the older beta versions, some trojan-spiked fakes, and a few have a supposedly "leaked" release version that has a 30 day trial anyway without a legitimate key.

Does anyone know where I can download the release candidate that was here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nload.aspx

This is what their site says:
Sorry, the Windows 7 RC is no longer available for download. If you’ve got the download and need a product key, they’ll be available until October 21, 2009.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Windows 7 Release Candidate

Post by hnzw_rui »

Have it but it's a mite too big to upload given my internet connection. Your best bet really would be the torrent sites. If I were you, though, I'd just go for the leaked Windows 7 RTM (release to manufacturer) version. That would save you the hassle of having to reformat once the release candidate expires. It's valid and aside from being made available to OEM customers, it's the same version released to TechNet and MSDN subscribers since August 6. Iirc, you can even do a re-arm which would extend the period it won't ask for a key for 120 days. More than enough time to get yourself a valid key.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

how do you do the re-arm?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Got this from mydigitallife

1. Install Windows 7 without any product activation key.
2. After installation is completed, use the Windows 7 for 30 days and wait for the remaining days left to activate Windows counting down to 0, or almost zero.
3. When the activation grace period (or evaluation trial period) is almost expired or ended, log on to Windows 7 desktop, and open a Command Prompt window (i.e. type Cmd in Start Search and hit Enter).
4. Type any of the following commands into the command prompt, and then hit Enter:

sysprep /generalize

slmgr.vbs –rearm

rundll32 slc.dll,SLReArmWindows

slmgr.vbs /rearm
5. Reboot Windows 7 to enjoy another 30 days of free usage without worrying about activation nor even need to crack Windows 7.
6. When the activation grace period countdown timer almost running down to 0 again, repeat the ‘rearm’ trick to enjoy another 30 days of Windows 7 for free. User can run the rearm command for maximum of 3 times.
Last edited by pwcmed on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

I think the RTM version I saw was ultimate, I'm not sure if it will accept a downgraded key to Professional or Home Premium. I also don't know when I can access a student discount version, the tech guys at school said January/February at earliest.

I want 7 for the performance, then again I can afford to wait a bit cause I've heard mixed opinions on some of the drivers being less speedy than their vista counterparts.

I have 4gb of ram plus another 512mb in video card memory, I think the 64-bit leap would push some extra life out of my dual core processor and ram.

Thing is my computer is giving me problems as is, you know something is wrong when you are unable to access your cable modem bios and when you try to ping a server it gives you a warning "General failure." I think the firewall is blocking it, but I can't find how to create a rule for the network. I've also had SVCHOST go crazy a couple of times and implode itself with cpu usage until I ended the process.

I can't wait for Microsoft to have an operating system with straightforward processes that aren't cloned several times.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Just purchase TechNet and split the subscription with your friends.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

You are talking about the $349 subscription? Let me weigh $19 and $349 :p
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

What city do you live in? If you're near me I could probably get you a copy of my RC 1 64 bit disk.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

I decided with the second option. I'm downloading the RTM version of professional x64 and will install that, then I will validate it with a key from MSDN when they validate my information.

I'm going to try this with a bootable USB since I don't feel like buying dvds :P
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

pwcmed wrote:Got this from mydigitallife

1. Install Windows 7 without any product activation key.
2. After installation is completed, use the Windows 7 for 30 days and wait for the remaining days left to activate Windows counting down to 0, or almost zero.
3. When the activation grace period (or evaluation trial period) is almost expired or ended, log on to Windows 7 desktop, and open a Command Prompt window (i.e. type Cmd in Start Search and hit Enter).
4. Type any of the following commands into the command prompt, and then hit Enter:

sysprep /generalize

slmgr.vbs –rearm

rundll32 slc.dll,SLReArmWindows

slmgr /rearm
5. Reboot Windows 7 to enjoy another 30 days of free usage without worrying about activation nor even need to crack Windows 7.
6. When the activation grace period countdown timer almost running down to 0 again, repeat the ‘rearm’ trick to enjoy another 30 days of Windows 7 for free. User can run the rearm command for maximum of 3 times.
just a heads up that it should be

slmgr.vbs /rearm
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!