Pirated copies of Windows XP will be able to use SP2!!

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pirated copies of Windows XP will be able to use SP2!!

Post by Apoptosis »

I know this may be of interest to some people!
Microsoft's increasing concern over information security has translated into its decision to bite the bullet and make its upcoming SP2 (Service Pack 2) security patch available to all users - including those using pirated copies of its Windows XP software.

"We haven't explicitly done anything to SP2 to exclude it from pirated copies," said Microsoft group product manager Barry Goffe. The United States-based executive was interviewed via telephone.

This is unlike SP1 (Service Pack 1), which had features to prevent users with pirated copies from downloading it. In SP2's case, the mammoth 80MB to 250MB patch can be downloaded and installed on computers running both legitimate and pirated copies.
I'm actually glad to see that Microsoft is going to help everyone in this situation! They didn't do with SP1a as noted in the below quote:
This is unlike SP1 (Service Pack 1), which had features to prevent users with pirated copies from downloading it. In SP2's case, the mammoth 80MB to 250MB patch can be downloaded and installed on computers running both legitimate and pirated copies.
This article is a must read for Windows XP users

Now we just need a firm release date!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Release date is still unknown from the beta tester sid eof the house.....I'm still testing RC1............. 8)
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

MS doing a U turn, intel style! :D
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Release date is still unknown from the beta tester sid eof the house.....I'm still testing RC1............. 8)
You are a tester ??

Alister
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Yes I am.............normally every time there is a update or a version change I get a email...........I haven't heard a thing after they released RC1.
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Yes I am.............normally every time there is a update or a version change I get a email...........I haven't heard a thing after they released RC1.
I am a tester also and never received an e-mail but if you login to the windowsbeta site you may see something newer than RC1.

Alister
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

Talk about waffling :) I got this from Betanews

"In a nutshell, Microsoft group product manager Barry Goffe told ComputerTimes that Windows XP Service Pack 2 would not exclude pirated copies from upgrading, and that it was more important to keep user safe than to be "concerned about the revenue issue."

To clarify its position, a Microsoft spokesperson told BetaNews, "Press reports indicating Windows XP Service Pack 2 will install on pirated or illegal copies of Windows XP are not entirely true. Prior to installing, SP2 will check the OS' product ID (PID) against a list of known pirated PIDs. If a PID is found to be invalid, SP2 will not install." "

Alister
bull
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bull »

Isn't this kinda like saying, "if you can't beat 'em..."?

I think they are a bit tired of getting egg on their face when they say it won't work with pirated copies and then the next day it magically does. :roll:
mrplow
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Pirated copies of Windows XP will be able to use SP2!!

Post by mrplow »

Apoptosis wrote:I know this may be of interest to some people!
I'm actually glad to see that Microsoft is going to help everyone in this situation! They didn't do with SP1a as noted in the below quote:
Umm.. sorry to perhaps be a spoilsport here but why the hell should they support people in "this situation" (by which I assume you mean people with pirated copies).

If you haven't paid for the software, it seems a bit tight to expect to be treated to free official updates.

But it seems fairly likely that they simply can't be bothered. This is good. The less money spent on anti-piracy the cheaper software can be and the fewer people will actually go out and pirate it (in my humble opinion).
illegitimate emus
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I did alot of research after the thread got started the other night on SP2, according to every beta tester I talked to and posts I read, there are alot of people with pirated copies who's OS is completely unfunctional after downloading the SP2 update. So if you do have a pirated copy, don't do it.
I have to call MS every time I install a new piece on my system because I have exceeded the number of installs, other than always getting someone who doesn't speak englis, it isn't a hard process but is annoying. I can't even download the new service pack beta because it would make me call support to reactivate my copy of Windows. I have heard the 26th of this month for the next Beta release (final) and the first week of July for the public release.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

RC2 is supposed to be out this week last I heard. RC1 ver. 2120 is the latest that is out right now, and it's not very good, crashes my IE everytime I go to properties for anything on the web.........really sucks...... :shock:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

the new releases as of Friday were 2135 and they were waiting on 2136, which was supposed to be released by COB Friday
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'm a Beta tester and I haven't heard a thing as of yet........and there isn't anything new on the beta site yet either..........I wonder what's up........ :shock:
rekphiv
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rekphiv »

I have 6 computer in my house. all pirated additions of xp pro. and all have sp1a running on them, its not a problem to get passed their service packs, all you need to do is generate your own product key, DUH.
Yair
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Yair »

since exploitable computers, with a legal OS or not, endanger everyone i think they shouldn't prevent installation for the critical updates

if anyone wants to pirate it they can do it easily anyway (ie replace a serial number for SP1)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

See, I disagree. I paid for my OS, alot of money. people who play by the rules have to pay more because of people who go arounfd the rules or cheat the system. I don't think it is fair or right. If I pay for it, you should pay for it, simple as that. Like Eminem once said "If you can afford to go buy (or build) a $500 computer, then you can afford to pay $15 for a CD".
If you built something, or authored something, you want to make money. How would you feel if someone stole your stuff, or didn't pay you to use it? Probably be pretty ticked off. You might say a few copies won't hurt a billion dollar corporation, but what if thousands are doing it.
I think if you can afford a computer, you can afford to pay for an OS just like the rest of us.
A thief is a thief, doesn't matter if it is a candy bar, or a $130 OS......course that just my opinion.
Yair
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Yair »

i can understand that, but the anti piracy actions ms did in the past never worked
it won't stop the thieves, except for a few noobs (the ones without a 1334 friend :P ) that shouldn't get a computer anyway :wink: , who will compromise YOUR computer

i didn't buy my current OS, i did by 2000, 98 & 95 and i don't think my opinion would have been different if it was about one of the OS i do own
security is a greater good IMO
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

I'm current using SP2RC1 as well on XP corporate edition.
I must say the Internet Firewall thing is REALLY annoying!

As for the issue of pirated or not, I've got over 100 legal+corporate cdkeys to choose from! 8)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Wuzy unless you paid with your own $$ for those keys they are not legal. They would beconcidered stolen. They may work because they are not keys off the internet.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

you know, I just don't understand it, stealing is stealing, and it is wrong. there are plenty of programs and such i want, but sometimes I have to make sacrifices to get them, or just wait until i can afford them.
I also think that stealing these programs makes them more expensive for people like me who pay for them.
Just think what some of these people could accomplish if they spent more time making these programs better than trying to get around the system.
Its just my opinion, but the law should be going after theft odf software as hard as they are going after people who steal music.