Hype and possibly More: Hype... Win 8

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
y eye
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Hype and possibly More: Hype... Win 8

Post by y eye »

Windows News: Windows 8 Details Emerge - October 27, 2009

"The version of Windows that succeeds Windows 7 will include a 128-bit architecture,
according to an embarrassing leak from Microsoft's research and development team in the US.

The full article and following links are Here: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... merge.html

Making the Transition from XP to the Windows 7 Interface Windows - October 27, 2009
Windows 7 is here and many users are making the switch to the new operating system.
The majority of users will be moving from Windows XP to Windows 7 and there are some significant changes in the user interface they need to understand. "

Windows 7: Made By A Lie
People who believe the ads--that Windows 7 was "made by me"--will believe anything. So try this: Windows 7 was "made" by people who hated Windows Vista.

Windows 7's Spotty Driver Support
Spotty support for networked all-in-one printers in particular may be a testing, QA, and certification issue; some notebook drivers aren't yet available either.

More: Hype http://www.pcworld.com/news.html?cat=1754
Win 8? Server 8... Maybe that is what's happening to Azure.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Hype and possibly More: Hype... Win 8

Post by Major_A »

Great, so if we are to believe this story MS will come out with 32, 64 and 128 bit versions of Windows. I said this at the Vista launch and I'll say it again, they should never have made a 32 bit version of Vista and especially not Windows 7. Every CPU in the OEM sector, even the newer Atom processors and VIA CPUs, support 64 bit extensions. With two versions of the same software means less compatibility and less innovation. How many useful apps are there TODAY that are 64 bit compatible? Sometimes the people in charge have to force innovation down our throats. If they care so much about compatibility then why did they screw over Windows 3.1 users when Windows 95 came out and was 32 bit only?
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

So what advantage do you gain from going from 32 bit to 64 bit, speed??, more colorful display??, better quality sound?? Until there is a real advantage to go to 64 bit, it's just bloatware.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

spitter wrote:So what advantage do you gain from going from 32 bit to 64 bit, speed??, more colorful display??, better quality sound?? Until there is a real advantage to go to 64 bit, it's just bloatware.
most of it is behind the scenes - going from 32 bit memory addresses to 64 bit is a nice boost!

Mike

All the dumbasses that think Windows 7 is better than Vista - IT IS VISTA you wanker! Windows 7 should be Vista SP3. Vista had problems in the beginning but once people realized they have to update old shitty hardware, Vista seemed to improve overnight by a factor of 40 ;)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Windows ME was just 98 SE with new icons. Windows users got complacent with the longevity of XP. MS makes operating systems first and foremost, that's their bread and butter. I wouldn't be surprised if here on out they try to push out a new OS every 2-3 years.

128 bit software would allow more "computing" per CPU cycle. This is why 64 bit programs run faster than 32 bit programs. So in theory 128 bit programs will be faster than 64 bit programs.
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by w00fd06 »

Sorry for being so slow here D:

but wasn't one of the reasons for not ditching 32-bit on Seven just upgrading? (yeah, they still should have ditched it on vista) but i thought that there were a slew of issues with upgrading from 32-bit vista to 64-bit Seven for those "non-power users".
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

My understanding is you can not upgrade any 32 bit to 64 bit version of Windows. Just like you can't upgrade a 64 bit version of Vista to 32 bit Win 7. The fact that most OEM manufacturers are installing 32 bit OS' is killing the development of 64 bit applications.