is my Intel processor 64bit OS friendly or not?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
pawzisme
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

is my Intel processor 64bit OS friendly or not?

Post by pawzisme »

Hello people. We bought an Intel DP35DP (skt LGA775) mobo a few months back, and an Intel Dual Core Desktop processor, number E6300.

I finished building it when we got Windows Seven, and I put the 32 bit version of the software on. Because of a number of references to '64 bit support' when reading about the processor, I am wondering if I made a mistake in putting the 32bit option of Windows Seven on, and whether I ought to take it off and put the 64 bit OS on instead. But I am not entirely sure that I actually do have the 64-bit processor capability. Can you more knowledgeable folk advise please? If I do - and I would want to use 64 bit if I can, so I can raise the memory above 4GB if I needed to (I am a gamer) - does that mean I have to reformat and start again from a clean disk, and will there then be activation issues, since it is only a few days since I put the 32bit version on? All help appreciated.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: is my Intel processor 64bit OS friendly or not?

Post by XstollieX »

The e6300 is a 64 bit processor. Though if you are not running more that 3 gb of ram there is no need to switch to the 64 bit of win 7. The 64bit versions of windows allow you to run more ram than the 32bit versions.
pawzisme
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by pawzisme »

thanks Xstollie - that is what I thought. Even though it is a pain to reformat and start all over again, I will give the 64 bit OS a try - make for smoother game play, which is one of the main reasons i wanted a more powerful machine, as in the X-series space game I play, there has always been a little pause ein the ships progress every few seconds,not a totally smooth transit, which spoils the immersion of play. I figure a data width of 64 bits will go some way to fixing that.
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Unless I am mistaken you can install the 64-bit version of windows using the same key as long as all the hardware you installed the 32-bit version on is the same.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.