SP2 Will Cause Problems in 1 out of 10 applications

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

SP2 Will Cause Problems in 1 out of 10 applications

Post by Apoptosis »

SP2 will be labeled on the box as having "advanced security technologies," highlighting its set of updates to firewall, antivirus and network protection mechanisms of the Windows operating system. Although the company says that some of these changes will cause problems with around one in 10 existing applications, it is not planning a certification program and is not maintaining a public list of troublesome software.
That's great... 1 in 10 applications are having issues and Microsoft won't maintain a public list or a certification program! Guess we all have to find out the hard way

For the Full Read
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

Thank god im using Windows 2003 :D
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: SP2 Will Cause Problems in 1 out of 10 applications

Post by alister »

Apoptosis wrote:That's great... 1 in 10 applications are having issues and Microsoft won't maintain a public list or a certification program! Guess we all have to find out the hard way

For the Full Read
I have seen a few broken by SP2 and some are working with the newer release while it has broken others that worked with the previous version of SP2 :)

Alister
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

will be up to the developers to release updates.... it will be an even bigger blow to older apps that r no longer supported!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

LINUX, thats all i can say. linux is looking more and more like the desktop os of coice if you dont want to buy a mac.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

infinitevalence wrote:LINUX, thats all i can say. linux is looking more and more like the desktop os of coice if you dont want to buy a mac.
Definitly, have you tried Xandros 2.0 Deluxe... I think that when SP2 comes out I am going to repartition my hard drive and set up a dual boot with XP and Xandros. I will of course try to mostly use Xandros because I am a definitly considering making the switch.

Alister
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

Linux is appealing, but most games dont run on Linux and drivers are a BIATCH to find for it, especially for less well known hardware!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Immortal wrote:Linux is appealing, but most games dont run on Linux and drivers are a BIATCH to find for it, especially for less well known hardware!
Only use Windows to game... make Linux your primary OS otherwise.
DualBoot!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

Hah! They all thought me mad for staying with ME! Well, who's mad now baby!

Ah, hell, who am I kidding. I'll change over to XP when AMD makes up their mind on the socket for the 64 processors.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

SP2 has been working just fine for me......Windows Beta Tester, I've got the latest versions of all drivers and all updates to the software I use and I have zero problems...........I guess it depends on how updated you keep your system....... :shock:
bobbybrown
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bobbybrown »

I use EndNote version 8 and it crashed after i installed sp2. I am staying away from sp2 till the dust is settled.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Im should be installing this weekend if all goes well. I dont want to but i have to have windows on my dev computer for work and school as lots of stuff uses .net.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"