Windows 7 security problem

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows 7 security problem

Post by kylepaddock »

I get this error a lot opining shortcuts to programs. any help would be great,
i am running win7 X64
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (28.61 KiB) Viewed 13544 times
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
Ebay is: horizonlongtails it is 100%!!!
skier

Re: Windows 7 security problem

Post by skier »

I would click the "why can't these files be opened?" dialog to see what windows says, but my guess would be that your UAC (user account control) settings don't allow you to run .exe files

or it could likely be your antivirus/firewall
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

in IE under the security tab is a bullet for opening exe files , set it to prompt and try again. (under the "internet" zone")

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

Sorry it took long to resopond.
@darkstar should you send me a screen shot if cant seem to find it.
@skier here it is

Code: Select all

Why can't I open or copy files from the web?

It's probably because the site that the file comes from has been identified by Windows as potentially dangerous. Windows uses security zones to determine whether or not a site is trusted. To learn more about trust and the Internet, see When to trust a website.

Windows assigns all websites to one of four security zones: Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites, or Restricted sites. The zone to which a website is assigned specifies the security settings that are used for that site.

The following table describes the four security zones.

Zone
 Description

Internet
 The security level set for the Internet zone is applied to all websites by default. The security level for this zone is set to Medium High (but you can change it to either Medium or High). The only websites for which this security setting isn't used are those in the Local intranet zone or sites that you specifically assign to the Trusted or Restricted site zones.

Local intranet
 The security level set for the Local intranet zone is applied to content and websites that are stored on a corporate or business network. The security level for this zone is set to Medium (but you can change it to any level).

Trusted sites
 The security level set for Trusted sites is applied to sites that you specifically indicate to be ones that you trust not to damage your computer or information. The security level for this zone is set to Medium (but you can change it to any level).

Restricted sites
 The security level set for Restricted sites is applied to sites that might potentially damage your computer or your information. The security level for this zone is set to High and can't be changed.

To add or remove a site from a security zone
You can change security zone settings in Control Panel, but you shouldn't add a URL to the Trusted sites zone unless you're confident that the site in question is a trusted site.

Click the Start button , click Control Panel, type Internet options in the search box, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Security tab, click a security zone (Local intranet, Trusted sites, or Restricted sites), and then click Sites.

If you clicked Local intranet in the previous step, click Advanced.

Do one of the following:

To add a site, type the URL into the Add this website to the zone box, and then click Add.

To remove a site, under Websites, click the URL for the website that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

open internet explorer > security tab> click the globe for Internet zone > select custom level> set launching applications and unsafe files to "prompt"

Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

It is set to that. What about the UAC
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

did you change the local intranet settings too? the error is not related to UAC, but you can just disable that if you want.

Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

I set that to prompt and it still gives me the error. :(
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Try disabling windows defender, but also take a look here -> http://windows7forums.com/windows-vista ... pened.html
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

Tried both still nothing. i couldn't figure how to do that last part on the link
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

How to Start the Group Policy Editor
To start the group policy editor, follow these steps.

NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has administrator privileges in order to use Group Policy Editor.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type mmc, and then click OK.
3. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
4. Click Add.
5. Under Available Stand-alone Snap-ins, click Group Policy, and then click Add.
6. If you do not want to edit the Local Computer policy, click Browse to locate the group policy object that you want. Supply your user name and password if prompted, and then when you return to the Select Group Policy Object dialog box, click Finish.

NOTE: You can use the Browse button to locate group policy objects linked to sites, domains, organizational units (OU), or computers. Use the default Group Policy Object (GPO) (Local Computer) to edit the settings on the local computer.
7. Click Close, and then in the Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box, click OK.

The selected GPO is displayed in the Console Root.

That part?
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

this is what I see, no group policy, I am an administrator
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

try putting gpedit.msc in the run box in the start menu. that should take you strait to the policy editor. If it doesnt start then there is something wrong with your ID or windows itself. Try and create a new admin account and see if you can tweak things. If not... I'm out of ideas.
Start_menu.jpg
Start_menu.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 13432 times
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

i was not able to find gpedit
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

if gpedit.msc does not open the group policy editor then you probably have some problems like Bubba said.

Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

Ugg, i dont want to reinstall win7 :P i got about 600GB of DATA on it
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

well the problem appears to stem from IE settings according to the screenshot you posted so one other thing you might try is to go back in to the security settings and set them all to the lowest. Then try opening the files, if you have no problem then something in the settings is interfering and you can work on tweaking the settings.

Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

Ok, I set everything to the lowest. Still doesnt work. I thought a newbie posted here saying that he had the same problem and he was able to fix it. Did someone delete the posting?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

It was a post riddled with spam links.
-Thomas Jefferson
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

Ok, I was starting to think that. Ohh I fixed the problem. yaaaaayyyyy :finga: :) :mrgreen: :partyman: