How many of you are running Linux?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.

Who is running Linux?

Windows only
54%
Linux only
No votes
Dual boot Windows/Linux
46%

Total votes: 13

alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

How many of you are running Linux?

Post by alister »

How many are running Linux? Which version?

I am currently running Windows XP only but I am going to be setting up a dual boot sometime in the near future. I am experimenting with different distros now. I have a PC running Xandros 2.0 now an I like it alot but it is running an older version of the linux kernal. I need something with a newer version of the kernal. I downloaded Fedora Core 1 last night and am going to try it out.

Alister
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I run dual boot on my main rig, Windows xp and RH9, i use only gentoo linux on my server, my mac is osx (unix) and i do use the unix base.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

Windows 2K3 here, faster than XP, but the same nearley.... have tried Linux, couldnt get past install screen.... yes i am a n00b with it.....
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

I have Mandrake 10 Official, and I can suggest it to anyone. Easy to set up and use, though it might not be the "best" in everything. It's good for learning Linux I think.
az3rch
Legit User
Legit User

Post by az3rch »

I would vote, but I no longer run Linux on my Laptop. I have reformated it back to XP. But Linux has its good side and it also has its bad side as well.
bull
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bull »

I have had madrake sitting here for a long time. Just never had the time to give it a try. :?
Flux
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Mandrake/XP dual

Post by Flux »

I run dualboot mandrake/XP. I had XP installed first.
I downloaded the ISO files for Mandrake 10.0 and installed.
I am a linux newbie, so I choose mandrake distro for it's ease of transition.
I'm impressed with Mandrake 10. I am still trying to work my way around it though.
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

well at the moment only win2k but i have messed with several different versions of linux and plan to again when i have a bit more free time to reorganize my hdds so i actually have some free space :)
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Dual boot with Fedora Core 1... Tried Fedora Core 2 for about 3 hours and went back to 1 because 2 was so unstable... But Fedora Core 1 has served me well for about 3 months now. (And I'm also pretty much a n00b w/ linux)
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Im telling you all now. If you realy want to learn linux then you need to not go for the easy transition. Desktop enviorments like KDE and gnome while they are nice dont help you learn linux. I think they keep you from learning linux because you never realy get under to hood. I think the best linux distro for beginers and experienced users is Gentoo. Now dont be scared by the fact that you have to compile every thing, its realy easy and they walk you through the whole install process. The only think i dont like about gentoo is the install time. If you dont have a fast computer it can take a little while for gentoo to compile. By starting from scratch you start to learn some of the real things going on in linux and when your done with your install you can then add or remove programs with a very simple command.

check it out http://www.gentoo.org
and the handbook http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml
Flux
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

GUIs are good

Post by Flux »

I agree with infinitevalence to a point. The GUI isn't the core of linux. However, I think most users need a GUI.
It looks nice and it has ease of use.
That is why these GUIs have a Konsole. I use the Konsole for everything except operating system settings and such.
If you want to learn the core of unix/linux, take a class and/or buy a book. You NEED a book for all the commands.
One step at a time.
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

I wouldn't mind trying Linux on my other computer in the future, however I've heard of a lot of different versions (fedora, red hat, mandrake, etc) and I dont really know much about it, however im not looking for a transition from windows as much as I am looking to try out the real linux, not something else, more 'friendly' etc.

I might try Gentoo, it sounds very interesting.
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Corsair 2x256MB-XMS3200C2-PT
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

***infinitevalence starts wispering: "gentoo, gentoo, gentoo" into Mr. Chan's ears.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Not to step on any toes or anything, but I'll go ahead and give a warning to MR Chan... The Linux Group up at Truman only recommends Gentoo to advanced and experienced linux users. However, if you really are dedicated and have a good book like Flux mentioned, it would be well worth your time by gaining the experience of hardcore linux.. Gentoo compiles everything for your machine... so it is optimized for your platform... and allow an entire day, if not a day and a half for the install... it is fairly time consuming. ::big grin::

Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with and how you like it.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

:) I'm really liking the concepts of Gentoo over a 'transition' from Windows to something else like "windows" -- Yeah, I have plenty of time (lol), but I have my old pc in scraps, in fact the old hard drive is in this one at the moment and it needs a new psu at least...but I want a new motherboard/case as well, as it's an old hp case and parts (requires a special psu that i dont want to buy to fit that case)...anyways, my plan is to get the pieces i need and turn that P3 into a project computer...lol I'll probably upgrade the cpu and stuff...lol anyways, I already know the advantages of having two comps so I don't want to just, say, install Linux on the 2nd hard drive (or even partitions on this one) because then at the moment, I won't have online access :) So it will be some time, but I'm really thinking about Gentoo and I am as interested in the learning process and installation as I am actually using it...lol :)

Thanks for the info, etc. :)
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Corsair 2x256MB-XMS3200C2-PT
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

When I get my other system together and the data off the HDD that I want, I'll be putting my legit copy of Longhorn (to play with) and some form of Linux.. that of which I doubt will be Red Hat! :P