Windows XP SP2 RC2 To Release on May 26th

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windows XP SP2 RC2 To Release on May 26th

Post by Apoptosis »

Microsoft is preparing to release the next release candidate of the highly anticipated Windows XP update, service pack 2. Current internal builds are at 2135.040518-1812. Microsoft are compiling RC2 on build servers this weekend and the build will be available on Monday to internal testers before it's launched widely on Wednesday.
Linky
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I haven't seen 2135 on the beta site yet..............latest that is posted for general beta testers is 2120......I just checked to see if they forgot to send me a email......... 8)
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

I currently have SP2 RC1 installed.
I'm not too experinced with beta stuff so I was wondering when I do install SP2 RC2, will I need to do a clean install to get the best performance out of it?

And how do I disable archiving in SP2 RC1/2?

Still waiting... http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte ... eview.mspx
Last edited by wuzy on Tue May 25, 2004 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Don't disable archiving, that way you can just uninstall it just like any other software......... :D. I wouldn't install 2120 if I were you........I had some problems with it and removed it after a few days......... I'm back using the orginal RC1. I've no problems with it at all.

There's supposed to be RC2 out soon, this week maybe......I'd wait for it just to be sure......... :shock: You can try 2120 if you like, you might not have any problems like I did. I always do a clean install myself, but it's not really necessary......... :twisted:
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

I want to disable archiving because it takes up too much HD space (even though I have 80GB) and the fact I'll never get the opportunity to use a OS for over 6months.

I do scheduled OS clean install once every 8months BTW.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I've been told that the "disable archiving" option will become active in the finial release of the SP...........it may happen sooner, guess we just have to wait and see......... 8)
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

I was actually hoping someone would know how to hack RC files to enable 'disable archiving'.

Which program would I need to use to see what's inside the service pack?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

You can start with a resource hacker like ResHack. it will let you edit .exe. To realy get into it you would have to decompile the code and then work from there.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"