Windows 8 preview

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows 8 preview

Post by DragonFury »

Well i downloaded this OS last night, and upon hearing that AMD finally cut some drivers for it I decided to try it out. here are some screenies for all of ya.

Microsoft has made some minor changes to Windows 8 since the last beta, but if you are already using windows 8, or have used it it should be fairly familiar.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Windows 8 preview

Post by bubba »

Win8 = WinME = pass

skip every other version of windows, works out to be the one they use as the test bed.

95 - sucked
98 - good
ME - sucked
XP - good
Vista - sucked
Win7 - good
Win8 - sucks so far for what I have seen.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

I don't understand why peeps don't like it, the more I play with it and get familiar with it, the more I love it.
Mini ME
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

bubba wrote:Win8 = WinME = pass

skip every other version of windows, works out to be the one they use as the test bed.

95 - sucked
98 - good
ME - sucked
XP - good
Vista - sucked
Win7 - good
Win8 - sucks so far for what I have seen.
Problem with this thought process is that people always leave out Win2k. It may not have been initially intended for home use, when ME bombed it ended up being the go to for a lot of people. That and 95 wasnt terrible considering it was their first pre-emptive 32bit OS among other things. At that point most other offerings were far worse, just look at OS/2.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Win2k was never really ment for home users. It was business class like WinNT was. After those XP come along and M$ made to one base OS for home and business just disabled features for home versions.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

True, but Win2k ended being bastardized for home use when ME flopped. At least from what I experienced it did. You could buy Win2k PC's from best buy/compusa/etc, and most of the gamers I knew around that time used it as it ran DirectX and most games ran fine on it. Some did dualboot 2k/98 to get around specific compatibility issues however when needed.

Either way, I do agree with you that Win8 will be like Vista and be skipped over by most (it looks like a joke for business use especially).
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

here is another nice capability of Windows 8 that is not found on previous OS'. At least I never seen it, Win 7 and previous OS' can only go to a 24bit depth, windows 8 can utilize a 32bit depth.

Mini ME
CanonmanNC
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by CanonmanNC »

From what I have seen Windows 8 seems to be a descent OS but I am not very keen on the user interface. It seems that they are force feeding us the mobile interface.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

It is really not that bad, I like it mostly because it is different, it is not the same old OS that we have seen.
Mini ME
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I installed the preview on a:
Phenom X3
2GB RAM
HD 5450
2X160GB SATA RAID 0

The system was blazing fast for the hardware installed. It literally brought new life into an aging system. Problem was I just couldn't get past the damn Metro UI. I kept going to the Desktop to play around and it got to the point where it aggravated me having to switch back and forth. If they made a Pro/Ultimate edition where you could disable Metro then I'd be all over it. At this point I'll pass. I have 3 unused Vista licenses sitting in the closet. I don't want to buy Win 8 to have it sitting in the closet too.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Microsoft trying to keep it from peeps disabling the metro screen. What I ended up doing with Win 8 (which is no different from what i did with windows 7) was to make the quick launch so for those programs I access the most are right there on the primary desktop. You can still add the quick launch to the task bar just you have to go fishing for it.
Mini ME
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

DragonFury wrote:Microsoft trying to keep it from peeps disabling the metro screen. What I ended up doing with Win 8 (which is no different from what i did with windows 7) was to make the quick launch so for those programs I access the most are right there on the primary desktop. You can still add the quick launch to the task bar just you have to go fishing for it.
Now they've blocked it altogether at boot
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/13807/

I installed it the other night and played around with it a bit. If we had a yawn smiley, I'd be using it right now. I'll be sticking with Win 7 for the foreseeable future...I may even go all OS X at some point.
Joe
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

FZ1 wrote:I may even go all OS X at some point.
Hackintosh I hope.
pendaws
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pendaws »

I have used Windows 8 but am really NOT a fan. I guess I am too old to appreciate the NEW interface. :)
I come from the land Down-under Image

Motherboard Gigabyte Z68 UD3H-B3
CPU: Intel I7 2600K @ 4.0 ghz
CPU Cooler: Xigmatec Dark Knight S1283W
Memory: 32gb G Skill F3-12800CL10Q
Primary HDD: Intel 330 series 120gb SSD
Secondary HDD: WDC 1tb Velociraptor 64mb cache
PSU: Thermaltake 700w Lite
GPU: EVGA GTX 660Ti 2gb
Case: Thermaltake A60 Armor
Neptune24
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Neptune24 »

I haven't used Windows 8 but still,

The main issue I think Windows 8 has is that it combines mobiles, tablets, laptops, desktops and the consoles all into one operating system. (I am still waiting for them to update the 360. Wouldn't put it past them)

While on the surface (no pun intended) this is a good idea. The different devices have different requirements.

I will stick with Windows 7 for now. Though I will get hold of a release client for Windows 8 and give it a whirl.

Neptune24
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD PhenomII X4 965 Processor, 3.4GHz(Stock)
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti Memory: 1024 MB
GPU Driver:
Direct X 11