Various Windows 8 versions

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Various Windows 8 versions

Post by Kaos Kid »

I see that with all the hype about Windows 8 launching today there are a bunch of versions offered: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, Windows 8 OEM, Windows 8 Pro OEM. I understand why some of them are offered (although Win 8 Pro Pack looks a bit dumb since it is the same price as upgrade from XP/Vista/Win7, who already has Win 8 Standard that needs to upgrade to Pro?, and why use this one when they could just get the Upgrade version that lets them go from XP/Vista/Win7 which would be more versatile?).

Why is there OEM versions? Does this mean you have to buy these if you want to install on prebuilt boxes like HP, Compaq, Dell, etc? I thought that you could install a standard retail version on any box whether it was a prebuilt or not. I assume that if you have a homebuilt where you bought a retail mobo and built from scratch that you would automatically want a retail version, whether it be Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, or Windows 8 Upgrade (from XP/Vista/7).

Let the skies open and rain your wisdom down on me guys! :lol:
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Various Windows 8 versions

Post by egloeckle »

OEM versions have licenses tied to the machine they were purchased for. The license is not transferable to another machine. You are supposed to place the key code sticker on the machine to make the license valid (though i dont think anyone really does this). In the past you have been able to purchase OEM versions with motherboards/cpu's from sites/stores like newegg/tigerdirect/microcenter/etc so it is not only for buying a machine from major manufacturer.

Retail versions can be installed on other machines as you upgrade.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I see. In the case of OEM that works out weird though since I have in the past taken a case with a COA sticker on it and replaced the mobo with another, then installed the indicated OS (using a generic OEM install disk, which these mentioned in the first post must be to be able to work on any machine) on the new mobo and it has registered and activated without problems. Obviously they don't know that the case is original so I guess M$ just looks at whether there is already a machine currently updating with that same COA, and if not then allows it to activate on the new mobo?
Retail versions can be installed on other machines as you upgrade.
This is the best possible scenario and probably one that most should use, me included.

However, all of the PCs in my home are still running XP so I'm wondering if going the "upgrade" route for less money wouldn't be beneficial. Also the question hasn't been answered in an earlier post on whether the upgrade versions have to already have an activated version on the HDD. I had a WinXP Upgrade disk that only asked for a previous CD to be put in(I had Win98SE) and once I put that in the CD drive it installed the XP Upgrade on a HDD without Win98 actually already installed on that disk. You also have to wonder whether the upgrade version needs the previous OS to be installed and activated on the HDD prior to upgrade or can it just be installed to an XP/Vista/7 previously installed but not activated installation.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

The OEM licensing verification isnt perfect, and windows activation will activate a single key multiple times without issue. It is anyone's guess how microsoft determines it, I only know how it should work legally. For building your own system though, I am not positive what component is technically linked to the license though I have seen where windows will deactivate itself (and require re-activation) under several scenarios. I have had it de-activate when replacing a drive (bit level clone of the drive) in some cases and not others. I have had it deactivate and require reactivation when replacing the motherboard with an 'identical' board (most likely not identical, it was a warranty replacement board from a major PC manufacturer), but in other cases could do this replacement just fine.

Basically, an OEM key will activate multiple times on possibly multiple machines without issue. However legally you would not be licensed depending on what changed (I dont know off the top of my head what MS says the license is tied to, I would guess the mainboard though). If you really need to know for sure, let me know and if I get a chance ill check with the MS licensing desk and get a definite answer.