Alternate Linux OS

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
altereDad
Legit User
Legit User

Alternate Linux OS

Post by altereDad »

Saw a review on Youtube about OS distros of Linux. mainly based off of 12.10/12.04 Ubuntu. Indicating various flavours of the original.

Are you a Linux user? and what do you use?

I ask this as during the review the top listed was called Zorin OS 6 Ultimate. I can guess in one big part why it may be a great distro. Just look at the options for the desktop that can be changed on the fly. And Windows users will love the basic options for the desktop. Now, in no way am I going to promote it as the best, I just like the feature-set enough to be willing to try it. I've been using Ubuntu 12.10 for a bit now.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Alternate Linux OS

Post by kenc51 »

Zorin & Ubuntu are based on Debian. Those are useful if you just want the OS to work and are not interested in how they work
Mint Linux is the most popular and is based loosely on Ubuntu, although they want to switch to Debian
I use Arch Linux as once you get the basics, it's much more "open".
Nothing is hidden from the user and all configuration is done via simple text files.
https://www.archlinux.org/

You should check out distrowatch.com
altereDad
Legit User
Legit User

Post by altereDad »

Looked at Mint. I'm looking at Zorin specifically for the alternative to Windows aspect. For personal use I do like to look behind the scenes.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I am actually downloading Ubuntu Studio right now to see if linux will be worthwhile to edit my hd review videos on. I just hate the new Pinnacle for Windows.

Still too damn many distros out there.

I was thinking of dual booting with windows 7 but partitioning is so worthless for me, I think I will just put it on a separate small drive to play with for now. It isnt hard to choose a boot device on startup.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

Linux user here though I dont really have a distro preference. I tend to prefer deb (apt) over rpm though. Really depends on the application, I think I have most major distributions in use somewhere at this point. Even guilty of using Gentoo for several years quite some time ago, nothing screams patience like a stage 1 install back in the P3 (2003ish if that is the correct gen cpu) days...

First distro I ever installed was redhat 4.something. It makes me laugh when people complain about linux being "not user friendly" now...

I will agree on the comment that there are too many damn distros out there though. I am even guilty of building a few LFS systems making that whole headache even worse...

Also a user of probably 6 or 7 other *nix OS's as well though that wasnt the topic.
rrplay
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rrplay »

Used quite a few Linux distros over the years as well. These days tend to prefer .deb packages mostly these days. Would honestly have to agree with
egloeckle wrote: .... It makes me laugh when people complain about linux being "not user friendly" now...
and also that there seems to be a bit too many distros, but then again it all about choice. Have to agree that even a bit of distro hopping can be a lot of fun,and be a bit addictive and also educational. I can't really say that I have any one particular favorite, or actual preference these days but more of a choice as to which desktop to choose on the hardware available.Lately been running SolusOS ,and a custom Debian net-install build.