Migrating SSD to different mobo

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Migrating SSD to different mobo

Post by Kaos Kid »

Hey All

I want to swap my SSD from my Gigabyte AMD785 board to my ASUS AMD890 board, hopefully without having to reinstall my Windows 7. Is it possible to just uninstall all drivers from the device manager that are mobo-specific, then swap, and reinstall drivers for the ASUS once booted in the ASUS board? I found this command that is supposed to help do that but of course am hesitant to try it without knowing if it will indeed work.
Open a command window and run the sysprep command "sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown"
Whatcha think? Possible to do?

Thanks as always for your input!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Migrating SSD to different mobo

Post by egloeckle »

Since you arent switching chip types you have decent odds of it working. You may want to run a sysprep though, just removing the drivers doesnt always work where sysprep is sorta designed for exactly this.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Hmmm.... interesting. I just tried swapping in the SSD from my Gigabyte 785 board to the ASUS 890 board and it booted to Windows 7. It did give me notifications that I need to upgrade video driver, etc. and I noticed in properties that it wanted a reactivation of Windows (3 day warning) but other than that it did boot. Does this mean that I don't have to bother with sysprep? I had been reading this thread about sysprep that says all my personalizations would be gone so I'm hoping that I can just swap over and install the ASUS 890's specific drivers instead of doing the sysprep. Does that sound feasible since it did indeed boot to Windows?

PS I shut down the ASUS 890 without changing anything, reinstalled the SSD in the Giga 785 board and it booted back up like nothing changed (I'm typing this on it now), so no harm has been done so far that I know.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
skier

Post by skier »

if it boots windows you should be good to go! :partyman:

most of the time between changing over motherboards windows will not get very far into booting and cycle repeatedly
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yaaay

That will make things infinitely easier for me, hopefully I can do the same with my ASROCK 790 board that is in my HTPC, move the Giga 785 over to it and keep my existing Win7 install intact on it as well. [-o<
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Similar chipsets and you should be fine; AMD to Intel board though, HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely it would work. As mentioned though, running sysprep will do exactly what you want.