Is win10 with DX12 faster?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Is win10 with DX12 faster?

Post by sbohdan »

So I remember the initial test showed, that win10 with DX12 was faster but later there was a real game test where it wasn't so. The conclusion was a possible drivers problem. So my question is: Is there a positive speed difference if upgraded from win7 64b with DX11 to win10 64b DX12 and if yes how much. I mean in real games and 3Dmark?
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Re: Is win10 with DX12 faster?

Post by KnightRid »

I have been waiting to see an article on the same issue. I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because it's just too whacky with the pretty boxes on the start menu and not working with all hardware (every windows upgrade seems to remove some hardware for no reason other than the manufacturers wont support it and want you to buy a new one). Also it is a pain to even find things. I dont want to search for everything, I want to go to a certain menu and find it.

Ok, enough bitching.

I also would like to see this :mrgreen:

Also, did anyone find a way to run DX12 on Windows 7? That would be the best of both worlds and you would never have to look at Edge or stupid pretty boxes that take memory and cpu to just look perty.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

No reply? Is nobody here anymore?
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It's tough to answer your question as there aren't enough real game titles out there that have been coded for DX12 yet. I expect no performance improvement or loss on your current game titles.

You'll need to move to Windows 10 to get DX12 features anyway, so as a gamer you basically have to move to Windows 10 to get the best possible gaming experience. I've moved pretty much everything over to Windows 10 and haven't looked back. It's solid.

Boot times with Windows 10 is improved and overall system responsiveness seems great still.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I just wish there was a way to get rid of the tile crap. I have it installed in a virtual machine right now and it just reminds me WAY too much of Windows 8. With a touch screen it seems like it would be beneficial but without one I would rather have the menu system like Windows 7 has.

I am still leaning towards skipping it, especially if MS is going to start a yearly or bi-yearly new OS release schedule (Is this going to be true?) because the games that use DX12 will probably be out about the same time as the next OS.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Got my boy a Acer One 10" tablet/2in1 deal. Win 10 interface is quite nice on it. He has been using 10 on his PC for a while, he likes it, runs well on his 3+yr old AMD A6-3500 box.

I've got a non-touch laptop that I am in the process of putting 10 on to mess with at home. I know older work stuff isn't compatible with it (barely works in 732bit)

I have fought it long enough, time to suck it up and start getting used to it. I don't worry about the tiled start menu. Everything I want is pinned to the task bar... I'm more old man cranky over the rearranging of the admin stuff (I skipped 8x completely)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

To: Bubba and APOP!

Did you do a clean install or go through the upgrade process when you started using Win10?
I've heard/read so many horror stories about people who have did the upgrade and had issues.
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

My boy did the upgrade on his PC, but I had him running Win7 Pro and he doesn't really run old software, mostly games and graphics programs like Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro. I did have to reinstall the Anti-virus after the update, but other than that hes been running it since its release with no issues.

I knew bulk of the current version of software my work has would not work with Win10, so for my testing the laptop I have had 8.1 Home on it. It had nothing on it other than office when I did the upgrade to Win10. 2 days of messing with it I nuked it for a clean install of Win10 Pro. so I could have more control over things via group policy (which is stripped from Win10 home) like disabling the App Store and One Drive. Its a little shocking how much under the hood control they stripped from Win10 Home. I know the Home versions were stripped down before, but its really stripped now.

I haven't tried the upgrade on anything old (5+ years) but others I know that moved from Win7 their issues were related to drivers and REALLY old software that I was amazed was running in Win7. Anyone that moved from Win8.x says they digging Win10.

Check your hardware, software, and devices (Printers mainly). I know that last years version of Endpoint Protection that work uses for Antivrus doesn't work in Win10 at all. If you need an old version of .NET framework for anything that got overhauled in Win10 as well. Not sure anything under 4.5 will install on it. Case in point I had to strip the .NET check from the install INI files for my AutoCAD software so I could get it installed. It was looking for .NET 2 framework, so had to remove that sniff check from the INI file so it would install. Seems to work once installed, still testing it though.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson