Windows 10 problems with locking up

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
KnightRid

Windows 10 problems with locking up

Post by KnightRid »

Ok, well I installed Windows 10 on all the systems here at the house after finding Classic Shell in this article - http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make- ... -windows-7 - Makes Windows 10 so much more bearable. now ever since the latest updates my system just freezes up. Windows wont close, nothing will open and I have to do a hard restart. I have no idea why. I went to roll back to windows 7, well lo and behold it found problems and could not roll me back (I hate windows so much) so I went ahead and did a complete wipe and reload. now it took me 3 days to get the updates again due to this rural slow ass internet and it seemed ok until today when it started again.

I installed...

firefox
roboform
weatherbug
steam (but no games yet)
classic shell
Acronis true image 2015 OEM

That is really it so far. All programs are the newest versions. Oh I installed Malwarebytes but it says none of my lifetime licenses I bought in bulk about 7 years ago are any good even though it worked fine on Windows 7 when they changed to yearly because they are valid paid for keys, so it is not running unless I run it.

Any ideas?

I tried everything online about the power management stuff, registry things, etc before I did the complete wipe and nothing worked at all.

before I start uninstalling things and doing the long drawn out trial and error I figured I would ask here and see if someone a lot smarter than me (doesn't take much) would know anything.

I should have never gone to 10....damn mandatory updates just suck.

I guess i could reinstall Windows 7 as long as upgrading to 10 did not invalidate that license....

UPDATE - I just cloned the Crucial MX100 512GB SSD to a Kingston 120GB to see if it may be the drive due to the power issues I had previously (which seemed to be fixed after I removed the bad fan from the loop).
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Windows 10 problems with locking up

Post by sbohdan »

Sorry mate but why did you "upgrade" to win10? Was win7 not working? "don't fix what ain't broken" :)
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

sbohdan wrote:Sorry mate but why did you "upgrade" to win10? Was win7 not working? "don't fix what ain't broken" :)
Everyone I work on computers for was calling me about it and the only way to truly see it and understand it was to install it on my end. Amazing how many people installed it and then had no clue why the did it or how they did it :roll:

I am also starting to think it actually could be the Crucial SSD because I have not had 1 lock up since putting the Kingston in. Wonder if they would do an RMA for a drive that didnt fail-fail (I write my own dictionary) but has hiccups.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

It was turned into a "recommended" update from an optional update. If you had auto update on, with "also install recommended updates" you would get up one morning and find yourself starring at the Win 10 greeting screen.

If running Win10 Home there is no way to stop any updates, Pro you can slow it down, but its ALWAYS updating.

The classic shell is most likely what is messing you up. I had to install Win10 for my new system because its the only version M$ was patching to play nice with Skylake. There is nothing wrong with the style once you get used to it. Hell I don't even use the start menu at all outside of pinning stuff to the task bar. Wish M$ would put more color options into office though, I absolutely hate the color scheme for Office 2013 and up. Color blind guy at work loves it, drives me up a friggen wall. ](*,)

My biggest bitch about Win10 on my setup is that the dam thing boots too fast and sometimes (more often that I like) doesn't fully register the internal USB3 card reader I have. And I have to go into the control panel and force it to find itself.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

It has been running fine with no lock ups since swapping SSD's. I think I will try and clone it back to my Crucial and see what happens.

Bubba - I HATE that stupid looking metro crap. No purpose to it at all on anything but a touchscreen.

I havent used Office in years since i found LibreOffice and OpenOffice :supz:

With your booting problem, I thought there was a way to change the order of devices loading during startup but I am not sure it is still around in Windows 10....
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Win10 defaults to desktop, not the tile screen like Win8 did. It does/can auto switch when it doesn't see a physical keyboard.

Win10 is growing on me. still dumb that some of the control panel stuff is hard to get to than before... growing pains of making a universal UI I guess.

Open office is meh for doc's, WP Office is better, but still no good alternative to Outlook for email yet.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Velo:Sity

Post by Velo:Sity »

Using Search is a must with Windows 10. :)