Windows Sucks and more about Solus Operating System

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows Sucks and more about Solus Operating System

Post by DeusEx »

Just wanted to share this since I have pretty much no one to talk to IRL about linux.

There is an awesome linux distribution called Solus that is being developed by Ikey Dougherty (this guy is an intel dev and a really really really smart guy). Its an independent distro, not based on anything else, with focus on user friendliness and efficiency. Its not perfect atm and there is still a lot of work to be done... but I have to say I am extremely impressed by them.

If any of you fellow LR folk are looking for windows alternative id say Solus and Linux mint cinnamon are best bets and you should start looking there.

/impending rant

I havent used windows in a very long time and I assumed that microsoft was still executing as well as when they had windows XP and windows 7. I had to get windows 10 due to work reasons and I am not going to sugar coat it : I am shocked at how far behind windows has fallen.

Install took what seemed like ages, and my network adapter was not recognized right out of the box. To make matters worse, even installing drivers from manufacturer website did not help which meant that I could not get internet on the pc despite having ethernet cord plugged in. HAd to install a wireless card into a desktop just to get internet.

Dont even get me started on all the privacy violations and the sneaky attempt to push these things on users by using "express settings" during install. Jesus. If we are the product why are we being charged 120$ for the Software? Very unethical.

I was amazed to see that windows is still using an installer from Vista days. Still the same process. Windows still requiring multiple restarts for updates.This feels like an OS from the 1960s. And the clutter... Oh my god the clutter. Such a haphazard system thrown together.

Linux is extraordinarily fast, updates dont require restarts, installs are lighting fast, can set up the OS while installing, a ton of hardware supported out of the box that IMO surpasses windows at this point, much better security, could go on all day. Only downside is less software available but getting better every day with more and more linux games and software in the works.

Honestly if you are still using windows for all of your computing needs you should at least take a look at linux.

Compare images of "modern" windows system vs something like Solus. I took a picture of start menu and folders in first screenshot, and control panel and calendar in the 2nd.

http://imgur.com/a/vMDH3

And now Solus comparison screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/4SQS0

One of these is being developed by a billion dollar company and another one by a dude from ireland. Can you tell which is which if you didn't know the names prior?

Windows sucks.
KnightRid

Re: Windows Sucks and more about Solus Operating System

Post by KnightRid »

I like Linux also but here again is my number one complaint, too many distros. Everybody thinks they will have the best, easiest, cleanest, most versatile, etc and it ends up being such a wading pool people just turn back to Windows.

I like Linux Mint, except the stupid upgrading process where it is hidden in the menu, but depending on what you do in real life, linux is still very limiting.

I am getting ready to turn another core2duo laptop into a linux box (traded my last one to best buy towards a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1) to play with.

If you surf the web, get email online and dont buy software online or in the store, linux is just perfect for you.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

KnightRid wrote:I like Linux also but here again is my number one complaint, too many distros. Everybody thinks they will have the best, easiest, cleanest, most versatile, etc and it ends up being such a wading pool people just turn back to Windows.

I like Linux Mint, except the stupid upgrading process where it is hidden in the menu, but depending on what you do in real life, linux is still very limiting.

I am getting ready to turn another core2duo laptop into a linux box (traded my last one to best buy towards a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1) to play with.

If you surf the web, get email online and dont buy software online or in the store, linux is just perfect for you.
I agree that there are limitations hence why I also had to get windows just now. Sometimes there is no way around it, if there is specialized software that is required by employer or something of that nature and I am in the same boat.

Having said that and objectively looking at the state of software right now: Its a crappy OS considering the resources available to MS. There is no reason why it couldn't be a lot better or why privacy and security couldn't be more emphasized. But yeah use whatever works for you, but imo linux is phenomenal and the fact that there are many distros does not bother me i just choose to use the best ones.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I absolutely love the way Linux uses resources! i mean a core2duo with 4gb of ram runs better than a core i5 with windows 10. Just amazing how snappy and usable older device are on linux. if windows could use resources like linux, it would be super fast and streamlined where business' could actually improve productivity the same way they would by switching to linux itself.

i am still sticking with the too many distros scenario. If they would cull the herd it would make linux more accessible to the masses as many (I mean MANY) people start out looking at linux and get overwhelmed by a gazillion (exaggerating by 1 or 2) distros that they just give up. I have heard this complaint over and over in my lifetime. Of course I can say, use this distro, then they can be happy and ignore everything else but for the majority of people who do not have a computer person in their family it is just a sea of confusion that they dont have time or the inclination to deal with so they just say, screw it.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I play with Linux on my Raspberry PI's, other than that, too much software I need is not on Linux yet, not with out running virtual machines, and that, well, defeats the purpose.

Until I can get all my CAD and Photo/Video software running on Linux (Looking at you Autodesk and Adobe) then I'm sticking with Windows for a daily driver.

And if someone says that Gimp is just as powerful as Photoshop, yeah.. no. no its not.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson