Windows SP2 update will be late, Microsoft says

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windows SP2 update will be late, Microsoft says

Post by Apoptosis »

Another delay today... and possibly another in the coming months...

Just bring on Longhorn!
Microsoft said Monday that the long-awaited update of Windows XP will be sent to manufacturing in August, a month later than expected. The product should be in customers' hands later that month.

Windows XP Service Pack 2, or SP2, will contain a number of new features. Most of the improvements deal with security. One new feature, for example, is a Security Center that provides a view of a PC's key protection settings. An improved firewall and other tweaks are also planned.

This is the second time that Microsoft has delayed SP2, which was originally expected in June. Earlier this year, Microsoft said that the update would be delayed until July.

The company gave no reasons for new delay. Last month, a number of Windows enthusiast Web sites reported that Microsoft had run into compatibility problems between SP2 and other software.

Microsoft representatives were unavailable for comment.

Linky
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Go figure! :roll: I wanted to format my machine to the release of SP2, but the way things are going, it doesn't look like I'll wait on SP2 anymore.

I have a copy of the actual Longhorn beta, which is legit. Is there anything that maybe I should consider not using it due to it being a beta version? Otherwise I'm going to buy some RAM somewhere so I can finalize my home server/fixer-up computer and throw Longhorn with Linux on.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

The sooner they come the sooner i go 100% linux. Well at least until school starts and i have to have XP again so i dont have to spend all day converting the stuff my professors send me.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"