Linux Based Reviews?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.

Would Linux-based tests help you?

YES!
33%
Some.
50%
No.
17%

Total votes: 6

Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Linux Based Reviews?

Post by Illuminati »

Well, I advertised the forums on a Linux User Group mailing list and believe it or not, I got a lot of replies from the members on that group that asked us to start testing hardware on a Linux platform as well...

I am very interested in doing this, but we would need some tutoring... I don't think anyone on the site currently has the knowledge to perform such tests.

What I am asking for is if reviewing some of our products on a Unix platform would benefit you (the reader). If it does, we will definately consider adding a Linux section to our reviews, or writing a separate review of the product just for a Linux testbed.

Let Us Know!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

I would love to see some Linux reviews. I have been considering make the switch for quite some time now. There are a few releases that are really starting to look good like Xandros 2.0.

Alister
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Yup!... I just installed Fedora Core 1 on a spare hard drive a month ago... very happy with it. I tried Fedora Core 2 for about 6 hours... then decided it had way too many bugs for my liking.

I also plan on installing Xandros 1 on my Fiance's comp towards the end of the summer (unless something easier comes into my hands)... That will be a good test if Linux is ready for the mainstream...

I already know of more and more people converting to it in the past 6 months... well, either linux or the new Macs... which the newest mac OS is built on linux... so I'm counting that too.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Sintax
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sintax »

I think that would be a good idea, in my opinion Linux is going to be used on more home pcs in the near future, Red Hat says they are really close to being ready for the home user.
Brax
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Brax »

Review Knoppix and SuSE
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

anything that is not gentoo is slow. if your looking to test the hardware gentoo is the way to go that way you can minimize the impact of the os on the systems speed. it will be more work as you have to compile from scrach but onces you get the hang of it you can set things up and let it run over night. on faster systems you can compile a base gentoo system in a mater of a few hrs while doing other more useful things like gaming, watching dvd, or posting on the forums :). The reason i like to compile all my own stuff is that i dont need any code for runing on a p2 if im using an amd xp. why have it in there if you dont need it.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"