Windows XP Service Pack 2 Released!... Share your experience

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Released!... Share your experience

Post by Illuminati »

Well, I got the little auto-Update notice in my system tray that SP2 is now available on Windows Update.

It seems that there is very little press at all on this date about SP2 actually being released to the masses... so I thought I'd start this thread to see if anyone has done this official update yet... and if so, tell us about it...

How do you like it?
Did you have programs that just stopped working?
Did your comp explode because you don't have a valid CD Key? hehe

Anyways, I just wanted this thread to be a place everyone can share their experiences. Post away!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I've been using it for a long time now (Windows Beta Testing). I've got zero problems with it..................... :shock: Works great, lasts a long time.......... 8)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Windows XP SP2 a tad borked on AMD64 chips
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18094

I'd like to point out that this happened to me as soon as I downloaded SP2. I also would like to point out that this issue is ridiculous to say the least. Great job M$
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

No problems here on my end and I was also a tester for SP2. The only program that I have run into that does not work is the ISO Powertoy, but the programmer says that he will fix it so that it will work. No breaking here because of key (since I am using a valid key :) )

Alister
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

SP2 no likey my product key :( but thats ok im getting a legit copy through MSDN.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Well, my copy is legit, so I'm guessing it comes down to the supposed problem with the AMD-64 "no execute" feature
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I'm at the end of my rope both with M$ and with this SP2. Yesterday, when i downloaded it, it crashed my computer repeatedly (wouldn't make it to the windows screen just kept cycling through the boot sequence. now that i have a few things figured out. i went back to install it, and now it won't show up under downloads. I can go to the history screen and it shows up as cancelled, but I have tried everything in their knowledge base to rectify the problem without any success.
Is there anywhere else to download this program? Everything I find just leads back to the Microsoft Nazi page "turn on Auto Updates"..."Let us do it for you".... I'm getting pissed off, why did they have to make this such a pain in the ass? They know why people turn off auto updates, yet they are being way too pushy about it.
Any way, enough ranting, anyone got a link for the SP2 download that doesn't lead to M$
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

See if this one can work...

Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

capper5016 wrote:I'm at the end of my rope both with M$ and with this SP2. Yesterday, when i downloaded it, it crashed my computer repeatedly
Did you get it installed before your computer started crashing or only get it downloaded and not installed?

Alister
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Capper what you need to do is dissable the NX on your cpu if you can in the bios.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00649/ they talk about what is causing your problem
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Well, the first time it was only a partial download. i reformatted, then disabled the "NE" in the BIOS (WTF is up with that? glad to see all that extra protection is so useful, thanks M$)
The SP now works, but my 3800+ now runs like an old P3! Very notiecable change in speed. but that isn't even the biggest problem, seems my wireless network is union or something, doesn't believe in fulltime work. Was trying read over Nates review last night and losst my connection 4 times.
I'll probably end up un-installing SP2 and waiting a couple of months until all the bugs are out of it.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

It's best you uninstall it................... :shock:

http://news.com.com/Windows+update+harb ... ?tag=st_lh

And from MS themselves................ :evil:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;878474
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

From what i have read, it looks like the NE/NX is more of a flaw then a fix judging from how MS implemented it. Rather than stoping the malicious code in a clean and protected way they just halt the thread. This seems to mean that if the virus is exicuted in a lower level or exploits any system service then the service terminates. im sure that people are going to start to wonder why programs crash to the desktop and why the system will halt and restart. I know that SP2 is going to be fun thats for sure.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

let me say that it really hates Ace utilities and other programs that modify your services and registry. i know thats kinda what its for, but M$ is really getting irritating, what with their new "auto updates" etc ("Let us do it for you"). I streamline my system to eliminate bloat, modding your registry and services are the best way to do that, but M$ doesn't want you modding anything. which is BS because there is so much crap in there OS.....messenger.....etc
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

on my laptop i run a total of 5 services, and 10 processes. i also went throught the HD and just started deleating files, got my base install of XP pro down to 1.3gb i think. there is a lot of stuff that windows will not let you delete even though its not needed by anything. for example movie maker, you can try and try but never get rid of it.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I've been running SP2 for a while now and the only issue I came across was that Nero 6 Ultra would not work... but I went to Nero's website and found the necessary updates right away. So everything is working fine.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

My mom can't get into a card making program, Picture It!

I believe it has to do with SP2