Microsoft Forcing SP2

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Microsoft Forcing SP2

Post by Illuminati »

Seems that Microsoft has a way to force everyone to update to Windows XP SP2. Below is a quote on how they can do it. If you don't have a valid License... it might be time to install this. ;)

Note 1: All of the above options rely on the presence of a registry key to disable delivery of SP2. This is a new registry key that is used only for the purpose of disabling and re-enabling delivery of SP2. Consequently, there is no additional impact or side effect on the system, and customers will be able to use these options immediately without need for any testing. WU and AU will search for the presence of this registry entry to determine whether or not to download Windows XP SP2. At the end of the 240-day time period, WU and AU will ignore the presence of this registry entry and download Windows XP SP2.

Microsoft and forcing SP2
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

if i ever liked MS before ( which i did not) i really hate them now. I dont ever want a software company installing things with out my expressed premision.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I'm thinking about a new OS. Maybe Linux. Maybe we need to start a new thread on Os's? I think weighing the pros and cons of different Os's and offering insight and help would be beneficial to all.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

well im happy to share my experience with alternitive OS's. But i do not claim to be a linux guru, i just know i can follow directions.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

The best way to learn and to offer help is through trial and error, as well as personal experiences. i find that in life, the most knowledgable people are the ones who are self taught (learn from experience).
I have 2 hitachis set upas a RAID 0 on my VIA controller, and the maxtor set up in IDE mode on the Promise controller. I'd like to be able to use both set ups, but haven't quite figured it out yet. Ideally i'd like to format the Maxtor and try a few other OS's on it (Linux or Win XP 64 bit).......Or maybe just find an optimal HDD set up. I'd like to get a SATA card and another hitachi, run a 3-disk array, then either use the Maxtor for storage, or use it as another OS disk
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

i kind of set up a dual boot system about 5 years ago with red hat linux with x-windows and even though it's semi user friendly, there is a lot to relearn. windows is such a comfortable simple environment for most of us. when you switch over to linux you feel like a hacker learning all these new things like mounting and dismounting drives and all the dos style commands just to get drivers to load and stuff.

microsoft is a pretty easy company to hate, but i think they have a couple main goals. to try and keep security issues under control as much as possible, and to not let everyone get their software for free. still, i think the enthusiast community is a small slice of the pie compared to all the money microsoft is making (or losing) from the corporate world.

anyway, is it really worth it to relearn a whole new OS just because of an issue like this? if it's for educational or performance value, i understand. but i don't think it's really making a statement unless linux goes mainstream, which really hasn't happened yet. but maybe one day.

anyway, there is nothing wrong with paying for software. especially something as big and involved as windows. if you think about it, a lot went into that os. they've been slowly improving it since the mid 80's and you're paying for all that technology. windows is actually a bargain if you think about what you're getting. just my opinion.
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I totally agree for the most part about Windows being easy...and my point wasn't any lind of statement, just wanting to broaden my horizons.
My problem with windows, and microsoft in general isn't security...there will always be those who think they are cool or making a statement by causing problems.
My problem with M$ is the fact they don't want people using anything but their stuff. they say their programs are compatible with others, but in alot of cases not without major tweaking or problems you just have to live with. My other problem witth M$ are things like drivers, their seemingly dark alliance with Intel, and the fact that you really have no control over what you want and what you get. for instance, alot of people don't need or want some of the built in programs that come with XP (Movie maker, media player, etc) nbut good luck getting rid of it. another issue is things like Services, most people don't need all the services running that are set up by default, they just waste resources...but again, without knowing what you are doing, good luck.
I just thank god for people like Black Viper and others who have spent alot of time working out so9lutions for stuff like that.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Hehe you know i have found that i spend more time on my Gentoo linux box then i do on my windows box because if feels faster. and the really funny part about that is my windows box is 2.4ghz and the gentoo box is 866mhz. go figure. i think this weekend i might rebuild my main desktop and while i do that i think im going to install gentoo on it as well. that way i will acutualy use my main desktop for more than just folding.
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

i have a big problem with microsoft only wanting users to use their software, their word processor, their browser, their messenger, etc. i think from their standpoint they feel that everything will work better if it's from the same developer, but in the real world people don't like that. if microsoft os turns into macintosh os where the best software is their software, they will eventually lose the overwhelming market share it has with computer users worldwide.

i agree that linux is a lot faster when properly configured. and that is because it is a less complex operating system. so we are using these super fast processors with low latency RAM, etc on an OS that can run just fine on a 486 or P1 with minimal RAM. windows won't even run anymore unless you have a pretty decent setup, because it's such a resource pig.

when linux finally gets to the point where there is a simple install program and the average computer novice can use and install it, microsoft is screwed. and it's only a matter of time.
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

eric... if you have not tried to install a Linux Distro recently, I would give it a try again. I was with you when I tried installing Debian about 3 years ago... I had to have help otherwise I could never get it to work.

However, I have installed Fedora Core 1 and 2 recently (http://fedora.redhat.com/) and both installs are quite user-friendly. As long as you know that you need a primary partition and a swap partition, anyone can install Fedora... and the bonus (besides being free) is that it comes with OpenOffice (Which is Microsoft Offices' biggest competition) already installed.

I have the DVD image file on my hard drive, and I would be willing to share it via FTP if anyone is interested (assuming I can get my FTP to work with SP2 :) ) PM me if interested.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

i am downloading core 2 right now and will install it on an old 30gb drive i have lying around. do i also need to install core 1? and when core 3 is released will i need to install that as well, or is each core a standalong OS?

i definitely think there should be a linux area of the forums, or at least an OS area for all operating systems. or maybe a "windows" and "other" OS forums. i think this is cutting edge stuff, even though it's been out for years, and the more people that start using linux, the more cool applications will be available for it.

anyway, i'm going to get the files and install it and i'll let everyone know how it turns out.