Handbrake Encoding Artifacts

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Handbrake Encoding Artifacts

Post by dgood »

I recently put an 8800gts in my system in place of my old x1800xt. I'm using what I believe is the newest handbrake edition (0.9.4). I have been getting artifacts on my Q6600/4GB DDR2 - 800/8800gts. I don't get them with my 8600gts/FX-60/2GB DDR 400 (same version I think, though it might be older, I'll verify). Moves get vertical lines/artifacting in most quick moving high contrast screens. DVD files/DVD shrink produced files are artifact free pre-encoding. Any thoughts on why I'm getting this problem? My Q6600 setup is like 4 or 5 times faster at least at encoding to mp4 than my FX-60 so it's worth my while to use it if I can fix the problems.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Handbrake Encoding Artifacts

Post by Apoptosis »

Sounds like the video card is giving you issues. Could be a bad memory chip or faulty solder... The NVIDIA cards made a couple years back were known to have issues.

Did you buy the card used online by chance? Lots of e-bay cards are 'oven fixes' and will only work a short while before giving issues like that.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Friend gave it to me for free because he got a GTX 260 (well 2 of them). But why would it just be the mp4 files and not the VideoTS folders that work? Also games look fine and have no artifacts. Just seems odd.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Apop you are right, in at least that is is the graphics card or related to it. If the memory on the card was bad wouldn't I see artifacts in all things? It is only MP4 video I have issue with. I can watch avi/mkv/divx/wmv/anything not encoded with h.264/x264. Is it a driver issue or some other issue? Anyone else have an 8800gts that has windows 7 and the newest driver got an answer? Is it my decoder? (it worked same computer with my x1800xt fine). This is frustrating as all my encodes I deleted because of artifacts were all actually fine :(.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I may need to make a new thread, but an Update:

VLC plays the files fine. WMP with an 8600gts and FX-60 Plays it fine with CCCP codec pack and same with WMC. My main rig with the x1800 plays it fine. With the 8800gts it no longer does. I think it has something to do with drivers and directx video acceleration with the 8800. VLC doesn't use it so that is where I got the idea. Really frustrating. How do I turn off the use in media center/media player?