Lycos first with 1GB e-mail

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lycos first with 1GB e-mail

Post by Apoptosis »

Looks Lycos jumped on the mega storage e-mail bandwagon and beat yahoo and google to the punch!
European Web portal giant Lycos has followed Google and Yahoo into the race to provide e-mail users with massive amounts of storage, and it claims to be beating these rivals already.

Lycos announced Tuesday that it is upgrading its service to give consumers 1GB of e-mail storage. But unlike some rival services being developed, the Lycos service is not free. Users will have to pay a monthly fee of 3.4 pounds ($6.01).

Google caused considerable excitement last month when it announced that it was developing a free service called Gmail and that it would give all users of this service 1GB of storage space--far more than the 2MB offered by MSN's Hotmail, for example. But the plans also alarmed some people, because Google said it intends to scan e-mail messages for keywords and insert targeted advertisements into the messages.

Full Text Linky
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

And I just read today that selected beta testers of GMail got 1000Gigs of space.
What the hell would you use that for? :shock:

[edit]And today I read that this was just a software error on Google side *sigh*[/edit]
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I've got Lycos, but not the pay version..........I got the free one............3 meg I thing..............I think I have around 5 or 6 different Emails........... :shock:
mrplow
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mrplow »

kalmark wrote:And I just read today that selected beta testers of GMail got 1000Gigs of space.

[edit]And today I read that this was just a software error on Google side *sigh*[/edit]
Google were claiming to offer a gig, or even boundless, storage. There's just so many damn privacy issues with them that I'm not even gonna start getting into.
I'll stick with "real" email thanks very much. It doesn't cost much to park a domain and get yourself a proper email address.
illegitimate emus
rekphiv
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rekphiv »

Ive never liked lycos for some reason.... Not sure why.
Yair
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Yair »

kalmark wrote:And I just read today that selected beta testers of GMail got 1000Gigs of space.

i had that, i was looking at the bottom of the page and is said 6 MB out of 1,000,000 MB
i thought about it for a while, something just didn't add up :lol: