crack an encrypted file

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

crack an encrypted file

Post by smack323 »

does anyone know anyway to open a file with the attribute AE?

To make a long story short - I have a folder with encrypted files in it that were backed up. well the site my company supports decided to reinstall windows server 2003 thinking that they had backups. well during the reinstall they obviously took the encryption key with them. now they have a bunch of green files that cant be opened.. my first response was "I think you guys are SOL" but i figured I'd ask here... everything I googled if for cracking passwords - thats not really what I am lookign for here.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: crack an encrypted file

Post by bubba »

Never messed with encryption... found this though..

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx
Decrypt a file or folder

Updated: January 21, 2005

Applies To: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 with SP2

To decrypt a file or folder

Open Windows Explorer.

Right-click the encrypted file or folder, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, click Advanced.

Clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.

Notes

To open Windows Explorer, click Start, point to All programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.

When you decrypt a folder, you are asked if you want all files and subfolders within the folder to be decrypted as well. If you choose to decrypt the folder only, the encrypted files and folders within the decrypted folder remain encrypted. However, new files and folder that you create within the decrypted folder will not be automatically encrypted.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx
Recover an encrypted file or folder without your file encryption certificate

Updated: January 21, 2005

Applies To: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 with SP2

To recover an encrypted file or folder without the file encryption certificate

Open Backup.

Use Backup to make a copy of the file in case of loss or damage.

Send the original encrypted file to the designated recovery agent.

Have the recovery agent use their recovery certificate and private key to decrypt the file.

Have the recovery agent send the decrypted file back to you, using any file transfer method that you want.

Notes

To start Backup, click Start, point to All programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Backup.

There is no default recovery agent on a local computer unless the computer is in an Active Directory domain environment. In an Active Directory domain environment, the administrator that initially logged on to the first domain controller is the default recovery agent.

Sending the file to the designated recovery agent can be done in a number of ways, including backing up the file to tape or floppy disk.

Files backed up using Backup or any other backup tool retain their encryption while in their backup storage location. The original files can be decrypted or modified without affecting the encrypted state of the backup copies.

You can recover an encrypted file or folder yourself if you have kept a backup copy of your file encryption certificate and private key in a .pfx file format on a floppy disk. Use the import command from Certificates in Microsoft Management Console (MMC) to import the .pfx file from the floppy disk into the Personal store.

For more information about using Certificates in MMC, see Related Topics.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: crack an encrypted file

Post by smack323 »

thanks bubba- its a start..
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED