Limited Gmail accounts spur frenzy

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Limited Gmail accounts spur frenzy

Post by Apoptosis »

In a frenzy reminiscent of the dot.com mania of the late 1990s, Web users are bidding for invitations to join Google's test e-mail service before the company begins giving them away en masse.

Google's Gmail service will be supported by advertising and will be free for users when it launches for the public.

But those testing the service in its beta version are able to invite a small number friends to join, a loophole that has created a kind of an underground market on the Internet as people from around the world angle to secure the most desirable e-mail addresses.
So if you really want the name bob+gmail.com you are prollyalready out of luck. The day the flood gates open I'm sure it will be insane. I bet everyone is going to try to register every name they can think so they can sell it like theseon ebay.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

That is just lame. I hope that Google finds away to keep people from registring more than 2 or 3 email accts
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Yair
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Yair »

actually you can't register bob@ because there is a 6 letters limit
i was in a hurry to register my internet nickname, other than that i have no use for more accounts

this great website
http://gprime.net/gmail.php
allows you to check the availability of names

EDIT
darn, google blocked that site :?
mrplow
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mrplow »

Who cares? Why does anyone want an account anyway.. for the price those ebay auctions are you could buy a domain and have a decent email address instead of some free crap that everyone else has.
illegitimate emus
Yair
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Yair »

buying something free is really stupid, but i don't see a point for buying a domain just for email purposes either

Gmail is the best free webmail you can get right now
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

gmail should be good, i just cant wait for its public release....
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

well i got a gmail account, my cousin has hooked me up with one... seems like a good service...
mrplow
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mrplow »

But now a massive corporation archives and scans all of your email. I really can't believe anyone has leapt onto g-mail like this.

Getting a domain costs so little and is clearly a far better thing to do imo.
illegitimate emus