Strange virus preventing me from using my account?

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
bishvabis
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Strange virus preventing me from using my account?

Post by bishvabis »

First of all, I'm sorry if this is not as clear as you'd like, I'm not quite savvy about this stuff.

A program called AV Virus Protection 2011 (or something similar) was suddenly installed onto my computer. Several popups came up prompting me to purge the computer of all infections, and I knew better and clicked out of it (though, I could never completely close the program). I don't remember exactly what some of the popups said, but Keylogger Zeus was mentioned several times. The program was open in the background and was scanning, and had listed several trojan horses that 'infected' my computer. Every once and a while, it would make my computer bluescreen and display a fake start up screen with a message such as "AV 2011 is removing all infections". It would go away when I unhooked my internet.

When I tried to open programs, a popup balloon on my taskbar said that the programs are infected and I need to update my antivirus software, then closed the programs.

The other accounts on the computer are fine. I tried to delete my account through an administrator, but it freezes entirely.

Right now I'm using a program called Advanced SystemCare 5 that my friend suggested to me. It detected 10 Malware threats and has removed them, but has not helped my account one bit.

Any help?
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Strange virus preventing me from using my account?

Post by pwcmed »

Malwarebytes and safe mood, works like a champ
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

To add to what pwcmed wrote here's how you do it. Since you said you're not tech savvy here's the steps laid out.

1) Download Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwa ... i_malware/
2) Install the program and run a definition update.
3) Reboot your computer.
4) As soon as you see words/text/graphics on your screen start hitting the F8 key.
5) You'll see a bunch of options on the screen (or you should), select Safe Mode without Networking. If you select networking the malware might connect to internet and reinstall itself.
6) Once in Safe Mode open up and run a Quick Scan with Malwarebytes. Remove all selected malware.
7) Reboot the computer and let it start normally. When you're back in Windows open up Malwarebytes and this time run a Full Scan.

Report back if you're still having problems. Other free programs you can use to scan.
Spybot Search and Destroy - Be sure you download this and install all updates. From there you'll see a button called Immunization on the left. Run that. It will apply "fixes" to your computer to prevent malware from installing in the first place. When you install Spybot do not run realtime protection or the TeaTimer.
SpywareBlaster - Download and install the updates. This works like the Immunization feature in Spybot.
Avira AntiVir Personal - This is by far the best free AV I've used. I install it on every computer I have to fix for family or friends. Usually after I install this I don't get a second phone call. The only problem with this software is after the program updates there's a huge popup to buy the program. Thankfully there's a way to turn off the popup ad.
SuperAntiSpyware - If you want to run another spyware scan grab this.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Do what pwcmed and Major_A said. Just to add my 2 cents worth if you don't mind. I have a real issue with somebody that sometimes comes over, not to name names (girlfriends daughter) that always messes with the computer and I have to spend a day trying to undo what she did. What I am trying to say is: Don't click on it unless you know what it is, and don't download anything unless you trust the source. With e-mail that has links or attachments before you click on them run a scan on them to see if there is a issue. Most paid internet security programs give you this option. It only works if the user is aware of what he or she is doing. Bottom line, be careful what you click. :) If you are infected, it's probably the users fault.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

vbironchef wrote:I have a real issue with somebody that sometimes comes over, not to name names (girlfriends daughter) that always messes with the computer and I have to spend a day trying to undo what she did.
That's why you create a very limited user account and give her that login info.
mONOSEQ
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mONOSEQ »

Run rkill, it will shut down active malware so it can be properly removed. READ THE DESCRIPTION.
Delete when clean:

Then you will need to install, and run full scans with these two programs:

Scan with your Anti-Virus after you have done the others.
Let me know if your still not clean after you have done this.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Major_A, So true. I don't have a reason not to do it. Maybe just lazy. She spends most of the time on facebook and myspace. Just a real cluster of bad sites and bad decisions on her part. Most of the problem is that she just doesn't care. Clicking on links that so called friends send her. Not to mention photos. I will talk to her mom, but she (her mom) is just as bad with downloading stuff from the internet. Really ticks me off because she knows better. Mom is a computer programmer.

Edit: If it's been over a year since I installed Windows and I just don't feel like dealing with it I will just wipe the hard drive and reinstall the O.S. I let her reinstall all her programs. Just to teach her a lesson. Again!. And I don't know s**** compared to her.

Edit: Don't even get me started about unplugging her curling iron! :lol: