Help with wifi!

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Help with wifi!

Post by sbohdan »

So I just bought an Intel wifi link 5300 wifi card for my Dell M1530 laptop and it doesn't work. It shows that everything is fine in the device manager but the wifi icon in the tray shows no wifi card. I tried to uninstall, reinstall the drivers but nothing worked and I have no idea what else to do. The wifi does work if I get the other wifi card I have in my other dell XPS M1530 but this card does the ssame in both laptops. The card is brand new and is the second I bought that does the same. The first one I thought was deffective but I don't suppose 2 new cards from different vendors would be faulty. Any ideas?
Attachments
wifi.jpg
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Help with wifi!

Post by sbohdan »

No help? :(
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Weird.

Only things i can suggest are things you probably did - install fresh drivers from intel's website, check power management to make sure it is not in a low power state or off and check to make sure the wifi is actually turned on, on the laptop.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... on.505220/

Wow, maybe the card isn't very good :( I would try the stuff i said above and if it doesnt work, maybe try a different card....hopefully the drivers or power state will work though
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Nope. When I put in the card from the other Dell I have, that one works. This card doesn't work in the other laptop also (I have 2 same XPS M1530's). I just can't believe 2 different cards from 2 different vendors I ordered would be broken. It is a possibility though.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

An update: I have a spare, old SATA 2,5" HDD, so I just put that one in and installed windows 7 Home premium 64 with the new wifi card inside it. Guess what? Works perfect, so the whole issue is windows related. Now can anyone tell me what prevents the intel wifi link 5300agn from working, when I replace the intel wifi link 4965agn that was in the laptop previously? The same happened to me with my kids Acer netbook and then I also thought it was a faulty wifi card. It seems the damn windows does something. Is there any way to correct this, so I don't have to reinstall windows on my laptop with all apps and games on it just to fix the wifi card issue?
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I can't believe nobody knows what the problem is? I used to get good advice on this forum :(
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Sorry for the lack of help :(

I am thinking it still has to do with the drivers. I would remove the wifi card, remove the drivers, run ccleaner and remove any registry entries that are remaining or you can search the registry if you are confident in doing that without messing it up, then install the new card and let windows boot and see if it installs the proper drivers. If not try installing manually.

Only other thing is the power state setting that seems to set itself on for some reason and then the card does not work.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Thanks, will try all this and report back.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Tried all to no avail. I can't believe I have to save all my stuff of the laptop, reinstall windows and all programs just to have the stupid wifi card work! I can't also believe nobody knows any solutions to this, since it seems like a common problem. I have so much stuff on that laptop, it would take me about 5-6 hours to reinstall and reconfigure everything back as it was... just to have a stupid wireless card work! Shame on microsoft and intel!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Nobody?!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

So nobody appeared to be able to give me any advice on this forum, so I figured it out myself and am sharing the sulution to the above problem:

As I described it before, non of the wifi cards worked in one of my laptops (they all worked in the other one). I tried to uninstall and install over and over from device manager, cleaning after with 5 different driver and registry cleaners but nothing helped. Finaly I have gone into safe mode and when I opened the device manager, under the "network adapters" section, there was the Ethernet adapter + there was a hundred + "microsoft 4 to 6 adapters. Now these did not appear in regular windows, so since I had nothing to loose, I just uninstalled them all. Took me about 10min. to do it all. After it was done, I ran 2 registry and driver cleaners and shut down the laptop. I installed one of the wifi cards and... lo and behold: it just worked!

Wow! I was about to give up after struggleing for a month and ordering 3 different wifi cards, thinking after the first two, that they were broken. Finaly I realized it couldn't be the cards but I was realy reluctant to have to save everything of my laptop and reinstall windows and ALL the drivers, apps etc. just to have the damn wifi card work. I knew there must be a solution but Have not found anything on google and got no help on this forum eighter. So here it is :supz:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Thanx for the solution! Always amazes me when something like this happens where it is a goofy Windows problem that causes it. I shouldn't say amazes, maybe disheartens is better since all the raving about Windows 10 going on ;)
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Tell me about it! The solution finaly was very simple but it was pretty frustrating to get there. And it shouldn't be. Installing a stupid wi-fi card shouldn't require a computer technician's skills. Imagine, having the same problem, when changing a graphics card or a couple of RAM sticks! I think this is a major goof-up on part of microsoft. They should be concentrating on fixing these kind of bugs, instead of how to better spy on people!