How to import .dbx-files?

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
CruzAranda
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

How to import .dbx-files?

Post by CruzAranda »

Hi there,
I copied all .dbx-files from my old pc & oe5 to my new one (xp, oe6). I now try to recover them: put them in the folder where oe6 info and new .dbx-files are located, but oe did not recognize them. I copied them to another folder and then tried to import them using oe6 application, but I get error message "no messages where found in folder or another application is using the files".
What do I do?
Thanks a lot for your help!
KnightRid

Re: How to import .dbx-files?

Post by KnightRid »

Did you copy ALL of the dbx files? You have to have the Folders.dbx file or do this...
If your backup files did not include "Folders.dbx", this method of importing will not work as OE will not "see" the *.dbx files without Folders.dbx. To work around this, click File| Identities| Add New Identity. Switch to the new Identity when prompted, but cancel the new account wizard that starts automatically. Click Tools| Options| Maintenance| Store Folder to determine the location of this Identity's store. Close OE and open the store folder in Windows Explorer. Copy your old *.dbx files into this store folder, then delete the file "Folders.dbx". Open OE and it will create a new Folders.dbx that includes the old *.dbx files. Click File| Switch Identities and return to your original Identity. Click File| Import| Messages| OE5 (or OE6)| Identity and select the new Identity. After the import is complete, you can delete the new Identity, and then manually delete its store folder.
From http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bjerre
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by bjerre »

Since an import or complete replacement of files didn't work, try this.

1) Open Outlook Express and create folder named Restore
2) Close Outlook Express
3) Go to where OE6 is storing data and replace the Restore.DBX file with one of the files from your backup (e.g. Inbox.DBX)
4) Make sure that restored file (e.g. Inbox.DBX now named Restore.DBX) is not marked read-only
5) Start Outlook Express
6) Go to your restore folder and move the items out
7) Repeat steps 2 – 6
In that case, if he doesn't see these .dbx files, then try to recover files to a separate folder using OE-Mail Recovery or other software and then import them into OE6. http://www.oemailrecovery.com/repair-ou ... press.html
bjerre
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by bjerre »

CruzAranda
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by CruzAranda »

Thank you guys for your feedback and help. Sorry, that long time did not respond. This is because the issue was solved and I forgot to tell.) Thank you!