Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 + Opteron 185 // Possible?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 + Opteron 185 // Possible?

Post by DMB2000uk »

Nein: So for a system to be DPS does it have to always have the two inputs or just a certain capacitance?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Nein

Post by Nein »

neonxgenesis wrote:http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 49414.html

they use the ga-k8n-sli (as shown above on your posted picture) and this mainboard, althought its a nforce4 mainboard (mine is nforce3 250GB), supports the CPU and works with it. The DPS looks pretty much the same than the one I have on my own mainboard for me, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yours is a 6-phase voltage regulator AKA 6 small multi-rail power supply with all outputs tied back into a single rail.

The one in the link is a 3-phase voltage regulator AKA 3 bigger multi-rail power supply with all outputs tied back into a single rail.
neonxgenesis wrote:Anyway, I think I'll try to find one of the 185ers and try to find it out by my own if it works or not. The reason why is that there should be (1) no reason that it won't be recognized at all by the mainboard cause its nothing more but a variation of the supported FX-60, and for (2) the power problem, I read threads where people overclocked the 170er (which IS OFFICIALLY supported) to something very close to 2,8GHz on this board.. and when they didn't fire their mainboard with even 200MHz more clockspeed than the original 185 has, why should mine burn in hell?

Anyway, whatever happens, as soon as I have the CPU I'll keep you updated about what happens, and what happened after a month or so.

keep smiling ;-) its just a computer.
For OFFICIALLY supported hardware engineers normally always allowed for 3dB power margin which drop the possible failure rate to 0. It is your choice to use hardware other than specified which drop the 3dB margin to something lower.

However the better choice for you is hunting down better Opteron 185 built lot series which would allow you to have better performance and still not giving up your 3dB power margin.
Solinari
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Solinari »

The Opteron 185 doesn't have much overclocking head room anyway, at least that's what i have gathered from the people i have seen with 185's.

A good Opteron 165 with CCBBE stepping would probably get higher clocks than an a 185.
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800 @ 2.7Ghz
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
eVGA 8800GTS 640MB SuperClocked
A-Data 2GB DDR400
Integrated Sound
Hiper Type-M 580W PSU
neonxgenesis
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by neonxgenesis »

It works perfect, the CPU is rightly recognized by the BIOS as Dual Core Opteron 185, BIOS sets all settings (Voltage, HTLink,..) right, it works perfectly in Windows and the PC runs stable, even under heavy load (video encoding). Runs now for some weeks and no troubles at all.

Can recommend it, even though its not officially supported.
Luna
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Luna »

Nein wrote:
neonxgenesis wrote:http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 49414.html

they use the ga-k8n-sli (as shown above on your posted picture) and this mainboard, althought its a nforce4 mainboard (mine is nforce3 250GB), supports the CPU and works with it. The DPS looks pretty much the same than the one I have on my own mainboard for me, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yours is a 6-phase voltage regulator AKA 6 small multi-rail power supply with all outputs tied back into a single rail.

The one in the link is a 3-phase voltage regulator AKA 3 bigger multi-rail power supply with all outputs tied back into a single rail.
neonxgenesis wrote:Anyway, I think I'll try to find one of the 185ers and try to find it out by my own if it works or not. The reason why is that there should be (1) no reason that it won't be recognized at all by the mainboard cause its nothing more but a variation of the supported FX-60, and for (2) the power problem, I read threads where people overclocked the 170er (which IS OFFICIALLY supported) to something very close to 2,8GHz on this board.. and when they didn't fire their mainboard with even 200MHz more clockspeed than the original 185 has, why should mine burn in hell?

Anyway, whatever happens, as soon as I have the CPU I'll keep you updated about what happens, and what happened after a month or so.

keep smiling ;-) its just a computer.
For OFFICIALLY supported hardware engineers normally always allowed for 3dB power margin which drop the possible failure rate to 0. It is your choice to use hardware other than specified which drop the 3dB margin to something lower.

However the better choice for you is hunting down better Opteron 185 built lot series which would allow you to have better performance and still not giving up your 3dB power margin.
I do agree with you my friend. I am looking forward for a next great discussions for the next time.
Good luck!