3.0ghz Phenom and triple crossfire spotted over at Hard[OCP]

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: 3.0ghz Phenom and triple crossfire spotted over at Hard[OCP]

Post by Zertz »

Great to finally see some good news!! :)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I'll believe it when I see it. We were also suppose to have physics on GPU from both DAAMIT and Nvidia. Sounds like AMD Is having issues with Current Leakage right now. Until they show up on the Egg, I could care less what DAAMIT's own slides say
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

funny those pictures look like the ones AMD PR sent me along with these comments....
I wanted to send over these pics for your viewing pleasure. This shows a 3-way CrossFire configuration along with an AMD quad-core at 3GHz. As you can see, the CPU is air-cooled with no extra cooling needed (we had some questions already). Let me know if you have any more questions. These pics were snapped today at our Analysts Day. It’s was running Call of Juarez all day but no benchmark numbers were taken.
Attachments
IMGP8712.jpg
IMGP8712.jpg (106.86 KiB) Viewed 11651 times
IMGP8717.jpg
IMGP8717.jpg (166 KiB) Viewed 11664 times
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

a working sample is one thing. Actually having it released to the public in large quantities like C2D was is another. Hell I'm rooting for AMD to get something out there to further push prices down.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

working sample or not who cares... show me the performance numbers and then the price (in that order)...

As far as pricing is concerned... Like I've said in recent articles the price was has ended after this last round of cuts... AMD didn't cut prices after Intel just did this week. That's the first sign of a white flag between the two companies. The profit margins of AMD and Intel are hurting investors and the board... The price war more than likely took billions out of economy when you factor in stock market share values and sale figures. The time has come to end the war and make money for investors... Q3 is all about profit margins and back to school sales. AMD out sourcing some production to TSMC is also interesting...
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

that and temps
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

good point... looks like a regular 4-pipe heat pipe cooler in that case that is at Analysts day.... Granted the four 120mm fans on the door and 120mm fan on the rear panel help out cooling.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Is it me or there is no Crossfire bridge between the middle and bottom card?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

nope I'm seeing the same thing
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

Meh, looks nice and all, but I'm with the others... Until they come up with some numbers and actually stop balking at getting them out on the market, I'm gonna have to let my emotions sit this one out. AMD a couple years ago became the OC'ers mistress, but it seems for about the last year, they have done nothing but kill off a great socket and put out one that has had little to no improvement over it. Now with their road mape they have atleast two more sockets coming down the pipe over the next year... Yes, there will be backwards and forwards compatibility (limited), but I would rather see them come out with something with a little more omph and a programmable memory controller so upgrades could be a little easier.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

dicecca112 wrote:nope I'm seeing the same thing
3rd one is for physics then I guess?
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

I AM SO EXCITED lol, but seriously that looks tight.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Zertz wrote:Is it me or there is no Crossfire bridge between the middle and bottom card?
It's blocked by the fans... notice you can't see the other CrossFire header even....

AMD claims they have four card CrossFire working,.. I know that NVIDIA has had quad-sli working for nearly a year know (with serious driver issues), so I'm sure AMD has quad-crossfire up and running by now - well I would hope.

Just remember AMD made this board with 4 x116 PCIe slots for a reason

Solinari
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Solinari »

I saw that earlier, i couldn't see all 3 cards with bridges but The Inquirer said "WE THOUGHT the third was software and said that in the original. All three GPUs are connected with a bridge. Sorry." So perhaps they got their information wrong (wouldn't be the first time) so they corrected it with that quote, which is at the end in bold letters.

I agree that this 3Ghz Barcelona would have been cherry picked to run at 3Ghz to show off as a marketing stunt. But, i like what i see and i want to see AMD do well. 3 x 2900XT's is a bit overkill though, 6 PCI-e power leads, or 3 x 8 pin PCI-e power leads, the power consumption must be truly eye watering. We will soon need our own personal nuclear reactors at this rate.
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800 @ 2.7Ghz
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
eVGA 8800GTS 640MB SuperClocked
A-Data 2GB DDR400
Integrated Sound
Hiper Type-M 580W PSU
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Apoptosis wrote:AMD claims they have four card CrossFire working,.. I know that NVIDIA has had quad-sli working for nearly a year know (with serious driver issues), so I'm sure AMD has quad-crossfire up and running by now - well I would hope.

Just remember AMD made this board with 4 x116 PCIe slots for a reason
Most of us can't afford or even need a dual-card SLI/Crossfire setup. Games hardly use a dual core CPU and dual-card solutions don't scale very well so the only use, IMO, for 3+ cards is:
1. showing off your rig
2. posting big benchmark numbers
3. heating your house

Just my opinion anyways...

Oh and, lol @ the 1200W PSU AMD is using.
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

Looks nice, but seriously i rather wait for real world performance and prices. I hope it is good, since AMD really needs something good now.
Anyway, 3 watt sucking cards is too much for almost everyone. I want to see something that will fight an ordinary system with Q6600 or E6850 and at the same price range or lower.
"Παν ΜέτÏ
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

it seems that games and hardware aren't advancing at the same rate. Crysis is coming out and they claim it can be run on a 2 year old machine... game makers are making games that dont require a $5000 rig, but hardware makers are pushing out rigs that will cost more than that, and it makes us think we need it
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

vicaphit wrote:it seems that games and hardware aren't advancing at the same rate. Crysis is coming out and they claim it can be run on a 2 year old machine... game makers are making games that dont require a $5000 rig, but hardware makers are pushing out rigs that will cost more than that, and it makes us think we need it
Right on.
lukeqsee
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by lukeqsee »

vicaphit wrote:it seems that games and hardware aren't advancing at the same rate. Crysis is coming out and they claim it can be run on a 2 year old machine... game makers are making games that dont require a $5000 rig, but hardware makers are pushing out rigs that will cost more than that, and it makes us think we need it
Right on with that

Hardware makers are flying past the software. When the so called toughest games to run for your hardware can be run maxed out settings on a 8800 GTX and sometimes GTS what do you need SLi for? I know 100FPS ro more is impressive, but who really needs it? most games you won't notice a difference between those few more frames you squeeze out, compared to the $1000-2000 you eek out to get those few more frames.
Athlon 64 X2 5600+ @ 3GHz - Asus M2N-E SLi - 4 GB Crucial DDR2-800 - MSI TT Geforce 8600 - Centurion 5 - 17" Samsung 713n LCD - CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 600w