Any Difference In HP and other X2 processor?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Any Difference In HP and other X2 processor?

Post by Methious »

I recently pulled a Amd Athlon X2 4200 out of a HP machine, then I got to wondering if HP requires AMD to lock the processor or some weird stuff? They and other manufacturers are known to do some funky stuff. Like take a good ASUSTEK board and disable raid on it by funking with the Bios.

I was actually amazed when my machine didn't do the technicolor yawn when I installed a HP part in it, but after booting it got really funky with the AI over clock built into the board (was to lazy to manual OC it at the time) Been changing stuff so often lately I'm waiting until I get done dinking with it before I invest the time.

The last 3 things I have to do to it are, new Mobo, new PSU, and one of those honking 8800 gt video cards, then I'll probably be happy with it for a while.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Any Difference In HP and other X2 processor?

Post by HONkUS »

The proc should be a standard one. AMD doesn't have the money to produce special wafers just for HP. And if they did those HP's would be alot more expensive lol
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I don't think they do completely lock the processor (I still have the old 3800 x2 in the HP machine just in case). Just different processors clock different. It's not going to be in there long anyway, the price has dropped enough on the 6000 X2 to be affordable.

Good thing all my old parts go into machines I sell lol.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Methious wrote:
Good thing all my old parts go into machines I sell lol.
Note to self: don't buy anything from this guy! :finga:
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Actually every thing that comes out of my machines and goes into another machine I let the customer know that it is a used part, and as far as it goes most of the parts are under 3 MOS old. All are name brand selected after careful consideration and much higher quality than they would normally get from a local shop. In more than 5 years none of them have ever failed, and the only thing that did fail previous to that was a power supply after a lightning storm.

Usually they are sold at or near what I paid for them, and when I do use them for repair I don't charge labor for the repair because I'm using a used part.

So be it your opinion your entitled to it, as long as a person is honest about it with the customer there is nothing wrong with using it; morally or other wise, to save them a dollar or two. Yours being the first complaint/comment to the negative in many a year PHTTTTTT. :axe:
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

No need to be so defensive, I was just kidding around. :?
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I was to lol, but it is important to be honest with customers. A lot of the shops around here do some really funky stuff, I end up getting their funk in my place and working on it. COA stickers striped off old machines and stick on machines when the Op System won't validate or update (IE: pirate). Saying they replaced parts when they didn't etc. Almost every day I see it, I don't do it cause in my opinion it makes them worse than a used car dealer.

Any Way no harm no foul Dude!
Party On. :drinkers:
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Cheers! :drinkers: