Experiencing intermitent freezing

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
obansah
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Experiencing intermitent freezing

Post by obansah »

Experiencing intermittent freezing

Using Compaq Presario S3100nx
Current Specs

Motherboard – FIC AM37 Motherboard
Processor- Athlon XP2200+
RAM-512MB
One DVD Writer
One DVD Combo
FX 5500 AGP Card from Epertvision
Diabled Onboard Sound card and using 4.1 on PCI
Modem
80GB Hard Disk from Seagate
Power Supply – Antec SL300S

Max Temp of Processor is 53 degrees celsius
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Experiencing intermitent freezing

Post by DMB2000uk »

xp i presume?

Can you open task manager during the times of freezing (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), and see what process is using maxxing out the processor?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
obansah
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by obansah »

no, everything stops working. suspecting power supply
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Do you have to reboot to fix it then?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
obansah
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by obansah »

yes
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

When you said intermitent freezing, i thought that you meant that the system would become unresponsive for a while and then sort itself out, but never mind..

Roughly how often do the freezes happen? Have you noticed any similarities in what you are doing when the lockups occur?

I take it you are running the PC at stock settings and have not overclocked it in any way.

OK, grab a disk and burn the Ultimate Boot CD. From there first run memtest, let that pass a couple of loops, if there is something in your system that is broken enough to cause it to lock up, it will show up pretty quickly during stress testing.

If that passes ok, next run one of the CPU prime stress tests. Let that run for an hour or two. The screen will go blank at some point to stop monitor burn in, to wake it back up press a key (maybe moving the mouse will work also, i don't know offhand).

If both of these pass, then you may need to measure the voltages from your PSU. Are you confident enough to get a multimeter and measure the voltages being outputted to the wires while the PC is on? If you are i can tell you what exactly you need to do to measure the voltages when you have tested the other components. If not don't worry, we'll try some other testing.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)