Misunderstanding with AMD 125W TDP processors & motherboards

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Misunderstanding with AMD 125W TDP processors & motherboards

Post by Apoptosis »

Our friends at AMD just sent over an e-mail about the misunderstanding regarding 125W TDP processors and motherboard support in recent articles on various sites.
I’ve seen a couple of stories and gotten a call or two on this topic, so I want to proactively reach out and straighten out a misunderstanding regarding 125-watt TDP processors and motherboard support.

Put succinctly, contrary to suggestion in some recent articles, there is not a compatibility issue with AMD chipsets and Phenom processors. Any concerns regarding the pairing of those products stem solely from the maximum TDP specification of a given processor and the power handling circuitry of a given motherboard.

There are currently 8 different models of Phenom quad and triple-core processors in the channel. Six of those Phenoms are 95W TDP processors. There are two CPUs, the X4 9850 and the channel’s X4 9750, that have a power specification of 125W. (Note: OEMS receive a 95W version of the X4 9750). AMD has recommended utilizing 5-phase power handling and appropriate voltage regulators to support our highest TDP parts. Note that not all motherboards are made that way. Motherboard vendors have the liberty of choosing their own strategy and positioning. Their design decisions come in large part from the price points they target and the CPU wattages they choose to support based on their strategy. Put simply, not every motherboard based on an AMD chipset has the power handling required for one of our 125W TDP CPUs.

To illustrate the point that this is not a chipset/processor compatibility issue, simply look at the results you get when looking up recommended motherboards for the AMD Phenom X4 9850 compared to the Phenom X4 9550. The only significant difference with those parts in terms of board support is the TDP.

Recommended motherboards for the AMD Phenom X4 9850 (125W TDP):

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Recommend ... f6=&f7=ATX&

Recommended motherboards for the AMD Phenom X4 9550 (95W TDP):

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Recommend ... 5=&f6=&f7=&

As you can see from the motherboards AMD recommends to use with the Phenom X4 9550, there are boards based on the 790FX, 780G, 770 and even 690G and 690V chipsets. Also on that list are boards with Nvidia I.G. solutions. So you can see from this comparison, there is no compatibility issue regarding chipset and motherboard.

When the boards based on 780G (which has been the focus of this misunderstanding) launched March 4th along side the new Athlon X2 4850e, there were still no 125W TDP Phenoms in the market to consider. My apologies if I did not make this topic of power consumption and board support clear when the Phenom X4 9850 did launch. Frankly, it just did not occur to me as I was concentrating on which 790FX-based motherboard(s) looked best at that time. I hope this clears things up.
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Misunderstanding with AMD 125W TDP processors & motherboards

Post by DX »

Then how to get a 95W version of the X4 9750 and how can we tell the difference? And just how far can the 95W version be OC'ed?
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
JustinEss
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JustinEss »

It seems with AMD processors, a lower TDP doesn't necessarily mean an increase in overclocking potential. At least with the X2 line It may yield 100 more mhz. But who knows what will happen with the Phenoms. We may see a larger jump!
I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

I really like the links provided to see what matches well with a 780G chipset. 8)
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

DX wrote:Then how to get a 95W version of the X4 9750 and how can we tell the difference? And just how far can the 95W version be OC'ed?
If I'm not mistaken, only OEMs are getting 95W versions, for now atleast.