Quad HT....5200mhz?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
jusme
Legit User
Legit User

Quad HT....5200mhz?

Post by jusme »

I was contemplating a new build, one list for both sides of the fence. To my surprise I could build either for the same price, including a 24" monitor . Then I saw a new board come out with some great expectations, the M3n-HT Deluxe nvidia 780a. What put my new build on hold is the same ole thoughts every builder has and it's," will the new cpu or gpu make me wish I waited?" I read up on this invention and it turns out "if" amd makes a quad to run at a HT 5200 (from what I hear they are behind on that) and if nvidia makes a gpu hybrid compatable, then this system should put amd either back in the lead or right on par with intel. Has anyone else looked into this new board? Did I read right and this could turn out to be great? Are there any nvidia hybrid cards out? The 9850Be runs at HT4000 and according to the article I read, the 9850 along with the mobo hybrid features and a hybrid compatable gpu would put it at around 7gb/s verses 5gb/s for other cpus/gpu configs, but the HT5200mhz would make it 10gb/s. Does anyone know what I'm writing about and did I read it right? Does anyone have a crystal ball and can see if it's June or next year for HT5200 on quads? The reason for my topic is I was going to go intel on my next build, only because I'm totally unsure what Amd is up to. If they are going to make a HT5200mhz quad, I'll sure wait a few months, cuz the only quad I care to try on the intel side costs way to much and for me personally waiting for a Quad running at HT5200 and this new board and future expectations would be worth it, If I read it right. It's all mathematical at this point, until a HT5200 quad comes out to test it on. Thanks in advance for confirming or setting me straight.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quad HT....5200mhz?

Post by Apoptosis »

Have you read the reviews that I wrote on the board?

- ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe Motherboard Review
- NVIDIA Hybrid SLI and HybridPower Benchmarked and Explained

The board isn't going to improve the performance of AMD Phenom processors, so it's never going to get on par with what Intel has out. I'm talking about products on the market now. Even down the road AMD's upcoming 45nm 'refresh' of Phenom 50-series processors, both triple and quad-core isn't going to improve much. AMD already said it will lower temps and slightly help overclocking, but performance per clock is about the same as before. No one has a crystal ball, as to what is coming out in the future... No matter when you buy something better will always be coming out. Intel has Nehalem coming out in the next half of the year and it looks great. AMD has 45nm parts finally coming out and is said to be looking at 6 core and 8 core CPU's (so is Intel though) and since the CPU cores are known adding more won't increase performance against intel as they still have the clock per clock lead.

HT1 versus HT3 matters, but mostly in integrated graphics and for things that actually saturate the HT bus.

What am I looking forward to seeing? I am dying to see Nehalem CPU's from Intel and what ATI has cooking with the R700 graphics series. Multiple GPUs and GDDR5 memory on a video card that doesn't cost an arm and leg to make means that ATI finally has a chance to get back some of that market share from NVIDIA. It might be a critical move before Intel jumps into the GPU market down the road with Larrabee. Also keep in mind that NVIDIA will be coming out with all this Hybrid technology (Hybrid SLI, GeForce Boost, HybridPower) in Q3 for Intel platforms as I noted in my article. No crystal ball here, but from the wealth of leaks not too much is a secret. If you want a PC today then go ahead and build it. No sense in waiting as something better is always coming out like I said before.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Intel is currently holding the performance crown out of AMD's reach, a faster HT link won't change that! So waiting for AMD isn't really worth it IMO. Intel's Nehalem, which is supposed to be released later this year, will probably cost both arms, a leg and half of your other leg, so yeah...

No matter what Intel processor buy, it will be faster than AMD's fastest. It's kind of sad I know, but there's nothing we can do about it :?

Right now : Intel + nVidia = win 8)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Zertz wrote: Right now : Intel + nVidia = win 8)
That is a very astute comment indeed and I could not agree more! :mrgreen:

The say the proof is in the pudding, so I tested this theory myself with an AMD rig (crosshair, 5200+). I replaced the crosshair with a Gigabyte P35, and replaced the 5200+ with an E6750 and my benchmark performance skyrocketed nearly 40% in both 3DMark06 and Lightsmark.

I would never even consider going back to an AMD system, and I'm partial to Nvidia.