Barton vs XP - Temperature wise

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Barton vs XP - Temperature wise

Post by NAiLs »

How do they compare heat wise? I've got an Athlon XP 2600+ and I have the chance of getting myself a Barton 3200+ brand new for dirt cheap.

My XP cannot overclock much due to dual channel DDR, nor is it unlocked. The Barton would be nice, but how does it compare heat wise? My XP runs at ~40*C at idle.

Just for the hell of it, I have:

Asus A7N8X-E
512MB x2 Crucial PC2700 DDR
Athlon XP 2600+
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Barton's have more surface area, but the extra space is just cache and that is not the "hot spot" on the CPU. Going from a 2600+ to a 3200+ follows the linear curve of temps for XP processors. No worries on this change over and heat shouldn't be on your concern list...

Welcome to the forums for a fellow gamer and DWG ;)
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Thanks dude! I appreciate the input. If I can get this Barton CPU, that would be tight.

... and thank you, fellow DWG! :D
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

The preformace benift from switching from a tbred to a barton will more than offset any heat problmes IMO. The barton also runs at a lower frequency because of the added preformace from the cach. for example the 2600 TBred runs at 2.08ghz and the 2600 Barton runs at 1.9ghz. similar preformace with a lower clock speed generaly == lower temp.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Professorfate
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Professorfate »

I've got an XP2500M that never sees over 42C at 12.5 X 200 for 2500MHz at 1.813 Vcore. Cooling is an SP97. Nice chips these mobiles. :wink:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

yes they are :) i like to run mine at at 1.5ghz @1.2v that way i can run my fan at 1200rmps. but then thast because i dont have it in its case yet as im still makeing modifications to the case and dont want aluminum shavings all over the place.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"