amd ath64 x2 4800 problems

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
gareth1972
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

amd ath64 x2 4800 problems

Post by gareth1972 »

Hi guys just bought this chip as PIB and installed into my asus a8n sli del replacing old ath64 3000 because more and more new games seem to require multi core processors. Trouble is that with the new chip in I am getting frequent blue screen shut downs. usually in the form of mem dump or stop error. I am using:

asus a8n sli delux with northbridge fan replaced with zalman heatsink
2x 6600GT
2x 512mb geil low lat memory
2x 36gig raptors in raid 0
Tagan 480w psu
sb audigy 2

I have put my old processor back in for the time being so havent used any dual core optimisers. I have been unable to update bios atm as asus updater seems to time out every time i use it.
I have not as yet overclocked the processor
everything else still works fine with the old processor in so i find it extremely unlikely that its a ram issue (as seems common).
The only things i can think that might be causing these problems are the bios or possibly the psu just cant cut it. But does the x2 REALLY use THAT much more voltage than the 3000? I'd guess not.

Any ideas please? anything at all?

*edit* bios updated to last ever ver. problem persists
djtaz112
Legit User
Legit User

Re: amd ath64 x2 4800 problems

Post by djtaz112 »

From your description seems like a peice of your hardware isn't liking the processor. Recently, I put together a system using a new system with:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0 GHz processor
Asus M2A-VM GREEN AMD 690G Micro ATX Motherboard
Thermaltake W0070RUC TR2 Series 430W Power Supply with 2 Fans

Maybe try to use another power supply, or if you have old memory try using that to diagnose the problem. Let me know what you find out...just incase ;-)
Yes I know about computers, NO, I will not fix yours.
dipu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: amd ath64 x2 4800 problems

Post by dipu »

I am using the processor for almost 8 months that you are using. I didnot face any problem with that even with my stock PSU that came with my regular Space casing. I have problems with new PowerDVD and WinDVD other wise everything ok. BTW which OS are you using ? And exactly when the blue screen happens, if you can name any particular application that would be easier to think.