Turion Neo X2 Dual-Core Processor in HP DV2z?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
richards996
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Turion Neo X2 Dual-Core Processor in HP DV2z?

Post by richards996 »

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a new HP DV2z notebook equipped with the AMD Turion Neo X2 Dual-Core Mobile L625 Processor (1.6GHz, 1MB L2 Cache) and was wondering if anyone had heard anything good/bad/interesting about this processor. Seems like it should work pretty well for what I intend to use it for (no gaming really, just word processing, surfing, some excel/access/etc). What do you think?

Specs of computer are:
-AMD Turion Neo X2 Dual-Core Mobile L625 Processor (1.6GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
-4GB DDR2 RAM
-320GB 5400rpm SATA HD
-512MB ATI Radeon HD Premium Graphics 3410
-Vista Home Premium w/sp1 (64-bit)

I'm thinking that sounds pretty good compared to my four year old IBM T42p (2.1ghz single-core Intel processor with +-500mb RAM, 80gb HD, etc)... I'm a little worried about the slower (1.6ghz) processor speed but I am thinking the 4gb RAM should compensate for that..?

Anyways, let me know what you think if you feel like it. Chatting about my new purchase is all I have to look forward to before it gets shipped to me in a few weeks... any comments appreciated
Umby
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Turion Neo X2 Dual-Core Processor in HP DV2z?

Post by Umby »

Hi Richards996,

I recently ordered the same laptop as you did with identical specs. I have been unable to find a good review on the dual core model, so I plan on doing my own review once I get it. However, what I could gather from spec sheets and forums is the following:

The Neo X2 consumes slightly more power than the single core one (20 watts compared to 15 watts). This seems to be a very small power draw increase, resulting in a theoretically large performance increase.

The combination of 4 gigs of ram, dedicated graphics, and a dual core 64 bit processor makes it much more powerful than the ever so popular netbooks (usually with atom 32 bit processors and intel integrated graphics). The processor is slower than mainstream laptop processors, such as a core 2 duo. But these mainstream laptops can come with outdated intel integrated graphics as well, not to mention the added weight and large screen.

So what you (we?) have ordered is hopefully a compact laptop that borders on netbook size and weight, but wont chug on things such as 720p video, HD YouTube videos, and multi tasking. In doing so we have sacrificed a larger, more power hungry processor in favor for the Neo X2.

Here's to hoping we get our new laptops soon!

Sincerely,
Umby
richards996
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Turion Neo X2 Dual-Core Processor in HP DV2z?

Post by richards996 »

Word. :partyman: