Overclocking AMD Phenom 965 Black Edition

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
garyallen349
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Overclocking AMD Phenom 965 Black Edition

Post by garyallen349 »

Hi All

I have an AMD Phenom 965 Black Edition Quad Core CPU attached to an ASUS M4A77TD Pro motherboard. The CPU currently runs at 3.4GHZ with a mutiplier of 17. I attempted to use an overclocking program which was on the driver cd that accompanied the motherboard. This increased the processor to 3.6GHZ with a multiplier of 19 however this made my system unstable and produced a BSOD. My question is can this CPU be over clocked. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, I also have 4GIG of DDR3 1333 memory.

Cheers

Gary #-o
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Overclocking AMD Phenom 965 Black Edition

Post by Major_A »

If memory servers me correctly you need to start adjusting the CPU voltage on the AMD chips around 3.6GHz.

Are you running the latest build of Overdrive? Or are you talking about something else?
http://game.amd.com/es-es/drivers_overdrive.aspx
garyallen349
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by garyallen349 »

I am running a version of AM D Overdrive which came on the drivers cd accompanying the Asus mobo. I'm not sure if this is the latest version. The cpu is presently running at 1.39volts.

Gary
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

It would be better to use the newer version of Overdrive found directly on AMD's site. The lateest version is ver3.2.3.
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... rview.aspx

I've never done any overclock with Overdrive before, so I can't give any tips/comments about it.
Good Luck :drinkers:
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
garyallen349
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by garyallen349 »

Hi All

I downloaded the latest version of the AMD Overdrive Utility from the AMD site. When I go to the system overview page in the advanced mode the CPU multiplier is set at X17 and I am unable to increase this, the slider is at the maximum position. The auto clock feature takes the multiplier to X19 but my system crashes and reboots at this multiplier. Can this CPU which is the AMD Phenom II Quad Core 965 be overclocked clocked faster than the stock 3.4GHZ. I use the FSX flight sim and would like to getr the CPU to above the stock 3.4GHZ.

Cheers

Gary
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Overclocking your computer 200MHz isn't going to help much. Read this article and see if it helps.
http://www.ocia.net/articles/k10overclock/page1.shtml