Llano Outperforms Sandy Bridge

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Llano Outperforms Sandy Bridge

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD Fusion Demo Video Leaked - Llano Outperforms Sandy Bridge

A YouTube user from Ukraine has posted up several videos of AMD's upcoming Llano notebook platform that are worth a look at before they possibly get pulled down. The video compares an AMD Accelerated quad-core processor A8-3510MX with AMD Radeon HD 6620M graphics to an Intel Core i7-2600 'Sandy Bridge' processor with Intel HD 3000 graphics and shows that Llano performs better. Keep in mind that the The Llano processor features a clock speed of 1.8GHz with turbo up to 2.5GHz which is much lower than the clock speed of the 2600K, which runs at 3.4GHz and turbos up to 3.8GHz. The video shows the Intel system running a GPU benchmark at 3.99 FPS while the Llano chip runs at 19.21 FPS. You can check out the demonstration video for yourself below.

Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
pacman
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Llano Outperforms Sandy Bridge

Post by pacman »

these vids are six months old! can't believe sites are falling for this "leak" from last OCTOBER!

AMD showed a bunch of these vids back in Oct, where Llano runs DirectCompute demos like nBody. Most of these vids are really just showing their GPU use DirectCompute (from DX11) to run these demos made for it.

lets see some real benchmarks. who the hell uses DirectCompute?
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Direct Compute is becoming a standard nowadays.
Microsoft DirectCompute is an application programming interface (API) that supports general-purpose computing on graphics processing units on Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7. DirectCompute is part of the Microsoft DirectX collection of APIs and was initially released with the DirectX 11 API but runs on both DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 graphics processing units.[1][2] The DirectCompute architecture shares a range of computational interfaces with its competitors - the Khronos Group's Open Computing Language (OpenCL) and NVIDIA's Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA).
OpenCL (Open Computing Language) is a framework for writing programs that execute across heterogeneous platforms consisting of CPUs, GPUs, and other processors. OpenCL includes a language (based on C99) for writing kernels (functions that execute on OpenCL devices), plus APIs that are used to define and then control the platforms. OpenCL provides parallel computing using task-based and data-based parallelism. It has been adopted into graphics card drivers by both AMD/ATI, which made it its sole GPGPU offering branded as Stream SDK, and Nvidia, which offers OpenCL as equal choice to its Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) in its drivers. OpenCL's architecture shares a range of computational interfaces with both CUDA and Microsoft's competing DirectCompute.
General-purpose computing on graphics processing units (GPGPU, also referred to as GPGP and less often GP²) is the technique of using a GPU, which typically handles computation only for computer graphics, to perform computation in applications traditionally handled by the CPU. It is made possible by the addition of programmable stages and higher precision arithmetic to the rendering pipelines, which allows software developers to use stream processing on non-graphics data.
CUDA (an acronym for Compute Unified Device Architecture) is a parallel computing architecture developed by NVIDIA. CUDA is the computing engine in NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs) that is accessible to software developers through variants of industry standard programming languages. Programmers use 'C for CUDA' (C with NVIDIA extensions and certain restrictions), compiled through a PathScale Open64 C compiler,[1] to code algorithms for execution on the GPU. CUDA architecture shares a range of computational interfaces with two competitors -the Khronos Group's Open Computing Language[2] and Microsoft's DirectCompute.[3] Third party wrappers are also available for Python, Perl, Fortran, Java, Ruby, Lua, MATLAB and IDL, and native support exists in Mathematica.
I am gonna have to say it has everything to do with the current development of software and hardware.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
pacman
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by pacman »

DragonFury wrote:I am gonna have to say it has everything to do with the current development of software and hardware.
I am gonna have to say you are living in Imagination Land. Without the cute demonic squirrels, so it's nice there, I'm sure.

Out of the last ten computers I've laid my hands on, seen, used, worked on, etc, NOT ONE had anykind of DirectCompute software/app on it.

Hmmm, actually, out of the last Two Hundred machines i've used (i get around), NOT ONE had any kind/shape/way or form of DirectCompute on it.

Back to reality: ANYONE needing lots of GPGPU power will slap in a freakin' DISCRETE CARD.