TDP Confusion

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Andyb43
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

TDP Confusion

Post by Andyb43 »

Hi,

I am looking to build a system using a Phenom II X6 1090t Black edition processor however I seem to have hit a bit of a snag. The TDP of the processor is 125w and most of the motherboards I have looked at support 95w. Please could you let me know, in laymans terms (as dumbed down as you can lol), what the implications of this are? i.e. will the motherboard just throttle down the power or not run it at all?

If it throttles the processor down, do you think it would be better going for an X4 with a higher frequency?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TDP Confusion

Post by Apoptosis »

In laymans terms the CPU will be sucking down more power than the boards power management system can handle. This will cause it to cause the power phases to work at a higher load level when the CPU is under load causing the components in the phases to get hot. The hotter it gets the shorter the lifespan can be.

I wouldn't suggest overclocking and if you try that CPU in that board you should place some fans over the power phases. You might be able to get lucky for a bit. Just curious what is the board?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!