CPU Temp ???

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

CPU Temp ???

Post by [email protected] »

I just put a dual core processor in my comp.(was a 65w new is 95w) It has developed a problem shutting down (just as if you pulled the AC plug, no blue screen, warning etc) It may have been a virus, because after the first time my Norton 360 anti-virus went crazy, had to re-start like 10 times before it would stay on. BUT once in a while it still shuts off. I downloaded a free CPU temp program that says the CPU is running at 27c max, but the bios says its 47c max, strange. I've run my Norton clean-ups, repairs etc a few times to make sure everything is clean.

Any other suggestions ???
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: CPU Temp ???

Post by smack323 »

well if you can just reformat the drive and reinstall the OS - if its a virus threat thats what I would do if I was still having problems.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Just shutting down can be hardware related too. It could be the RAM is running out of spec (too fast, not enough voltage, etc...). The CPU could be reaching the thermal threshold and turning off the PC (doubt it with your observed readings). Start the PC normally and press F8 like crazy after the BIOS POST. You should see a screen that says Start in Safe Mode and others. There should be an option in there to disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure. Do that. Next time I crashes you should be able to read the Blue Screen and write down the error. From there you can Google/Yahoo/Bing the error code and get an idea of what is crashing.
MrMane
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by MrMane »

Also if running Win 7:
Right Click on My Computer and select Properties
Select Advance system settings from the right pane
Under the Advanced tab select Settings... from the Startup and Recovery Box
Listed in the System failure box, un-check Automatically restart

If Running Win XP:
Right Click on My Computer and select Properties
Under the Advanced tab select Settings... from the Startup and Recovery Box
Listed in the System failure box, un-check Automatically restart

This will also allow you to view BSOD information if Windows crashes
ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
Thermaltake Chaser MK-I Full Tower|Intel Core i7-2600K (O.C. 5.2Ghz)|ASUS ROG Maximus IV Gene-Z Intel Z68|PNY GeForce GTX 580 Liquid Cooled w/CPU & EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 Setup in SLI|GeForce 290.36 beta|Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz (9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v)|Corsair Force GT Series 120GB Solid State Drive & WD Caviar Blue 500GB|AZZA 1000W 80+ Bronze|ASUS 24X DVDRW SATA|Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Thanks for all replies,

I forgot to mention that the computer stays on, the video dies and the I have to re-boot. So it could be alot of things I guess, motherboard video, it is low on ram.

Thanks all

Pete
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I don't know CPU had and now have. But, you might want to go see if there's an update for your motherboard.
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Your problem could be caused by the new processor that you installed; your motherboard might not have fully compatibility/support for it.

In another of your posts, you said you have a ACER RS740DVF motherboard and a AM2 single-core processor. Then you replaced it with a AM2+ Athlon Dual-core 'Black Edition" processor. I'm assuming the 65W is your single-core AM2, and your 95W is your "black edition" AM2+ CPU?

We need to know what your two processors are (model, make, revision, etc). Why?
Example: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ comes in:
- Windsor 90nm, F2 or F3, 95W or 125W
- Brisbane 65nm, G1 or G2, 89W

Because your have Acer motherboard, not all of the CPUs will work, due to the the BIOS used, and/or simply lack of compatibility. And having used Acer products before, they rarely have new BIOSes; just the one flashed to the board.

The Acer RS740DVF is a Foxconn RS740M03A1 motherboard, and it uses a AM2 socket. It uses a ATI RS740 SB700 Marvell 8071 UATX chipset (a.ka. 740G)

I know for a fact that Acer uses AM2+ CPUs with this board on different model systems, and they most likely use newer/upadted BIOSes for them. Also, non-OEM boards with the 740G chipset can support AM2/AM2+/AM3 processors.

So with that said, I think you need to grab hold of a different BIOS that supports AM2+. Another option is to get rid of your AM2+ and get a AM2 Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor instead (like a 64 X2 5000+, 6000+. 4800+ etc). Anyways, Acer boards don't have any overclocking options (they disabled them somehow), so no point buying a "Black Edition" as you can't even touch those features.

PS: if you look at my sig, that system with the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ is the Acer system that I have. It uses a OEM version of the Foxcoon 690G motherboard. It has a AM2 socket, but can use AM2+ processors....but with the BIOS I am stuck with, I can't. I just replaced it with the fastest AM2 I could find...in that case the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

lordvic wrote:Your problem could be caused by the new processor that you installed; your motherboard might not have fully compatibility/support for it.

In another of your posts, you said you have a ACER RS740DVF motherboard and a AM2 single-core processor. Then you replaced it with a AM2+ Athlon Dual-core 'Black Edition" processor. I'm assuming the 65W is your single-core AM2, and your 95W is your "black edition" AM2+ CPU?

We need to know what your two processors are (model, make, revision, etc). Why?
Example: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ comes in:
- Windsor 90nm, F2 or F3, 95W or 125W
- Brisbane 65nm, G1 or G2, 89W

Because your have Acer motherboard, not all of the CPUs will work, due to the the BIOS used, and/or simply lack of compatibility. And having used Acer products before, they rarely have new BIOSes; just the one flashed to the board.

The Acer RS740DVF is a Foxconn RS740M03A1 motherboard, and it uses a AM2 socket. It uses a ATI RS740 SB700 Marvell 8071 UATX chipset (a.ka. 740G)

I know for a fact that Acer uses AM2+ CPUs with this board on different model systems, and they most likely use newer/upadted BIOSes for them. Also, non-OEM boards with the 740G chipset can support AM2/AM2+/AM# processors.

So with that said, I think you need to grab hold of a different BIOS that supports AM2+. Another option is to get rid of your AM2+ and get a AM2 Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor instead (like a 64 X2 5000+, 6000+. 4800+ etc). Anyways, Acer boards don't have any overclocking options (they disabled them somehow), so no point buying a "Black Edition" as you can't even touch those features.

PS: if you look at my sig, that system with the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ is the Acer system that I have. It uses a OEM version of the Foxcoon 690G motherboard. It has a AM2 socket, but can use AM2+ processors....but with the BIOS I am stuck with, I can't. I just replaced it with the fastest AM2 I could find...in that case the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz.
Thanks,
Great info.
Only thing is ? Wouldnt the bios either work or not work? The computer works fine, then shuts off after a while. I'm thinking its hardware because if the computer sits a while it will run a while again, where as once it shuts down it wont stay running very long until its completely cooled down again.

Pete
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Good point. But there could still be an issue. Maybe the new CPU has a higher TDP and as you stress it the motherboard can't cope? Replace motherboard in that last sentence with power supply (could also be an issue). Can you narrow down the crashes? Example: It only crashes when I play a game. It only crashes when the computer goes to sleep. The computer only crashes when I'm in Photoshop. Etc...
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Hmm...good point stating that.

It could also be that the temperature sensor on the motherboard or processor? is defective. I don't exactly remember if the sensor is on the CPU or not for AM2/AM2+...

Did you remove all the thermal paste on the heatsink & CPU and re-applied new material, or did you just left it and slapped them on together?

You had a 65W and changed to a 95W; probably the motherboard is having trouble delivering the extra power needed.

Major_A filled you in; probably motherboard and/or power supply.

You can still find quite a bit of motherboards that support AM2, AM2+ and AM3 (lower power draw AM3's). here's some for an example:
ASRock N68C-S UCC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157204
MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130241
MSI 785GT-E63 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130266
ASUS M2N68-AM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131613
Foxconn A74ML-K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813186188 (This is similar to the board you have, but a non-gimped non-OEM version)
Last edited by lordvic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

No real clue, just goes out after about 10min, whether its under load or idling. The CPU temp software says the CPU starts about 17c but it goes as high as 27c, +10c ? I noticed the case had no fan :shock: I just put a new fan in the case, so I'll watch the temp now.

Thanks again
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

[email protected] wrote:No real clue, just goes out after about 10min, whether its under load or idling. The CPU temp software says the CPU starts about 17c but it goes as high as 27c, +10c ? I noticed the case had no fan :shock: I just put a new fan in the case, so I'll watch the temp now.

Thanks again
17*C from cold start is normal (depending on room temperature), and idle at 27*C is quite normal also. Use another software (CoreTemp, HWMonitor) and see if the temperature is really 27*C.

I'm suspecting that your OEM Acer Mobo is having trouble supporting AM2+ processors and having a TDP of 95W and higher. I'm now questioning if even some of the Athlon 64 X2 89W will work or not on your motherboard...
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Thanks,

Appreciate all the help. So far everything is fine with the old CPU. So either its defective or your right and it cant handle the 95w set-up. Hopefully I can return it for credit and buy a motherboard and CPU meant to work together, thats the safest bet.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Pete