Next gen APUs (Trinity)--next gamer pcs?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
CoachAub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Next gen APUs (Trinity)--next gamer pcs?

Post by CoachAub »

With the improvements in the HD 7000 gpu series combined with the next APU chips, do you think they will make up the next enthusiast gamer pcs based on an AMD platform? I'm thinking that the graphics (formerly ATI) side of AMD has been their saving grace. I do think the future is fusion. Intel does too, but their Sandy Bridges have poor graphics capability compared to Llano. Ivy bridge should improve on that. So that battle appears to be in favor of Intel according to cpu power, but AMDs in graphics production. As they combine and compete, which will win out? Hopefully, we consumers make out the most.
I think this year will bring us some good ideas of the direction of desktops in the future. What do you think?
Rig#1: Intel i5-3570K, MSI-B75MA-P45 mobo, G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x4gb, MSI-7870 2gd5t/oc gpu, Tt TR2-600w psu, Tt Commander Snow ed. Case, Cooler Master Hyper212+ HSF, OCZ Agility3 SSD 120GB, WE Caviar Black 750GB
Rig#2: AMD Phenom 2-970, MSI-890FXA-GD-65 mobo, 6GB Geil DDR3-1333, HIS Radeon HD6870 1GB gpu, Antec Quattro-850 psu, Rosewill Conqueror Case, Zalman CNPS-9500 hsf, 1TB Toshiba Sata3 HD
CoachAub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Next gen APUs (Trinity)--next gamer pcs?

Post by CoachAub »

Wow--seeing the CES 2012 coverage of the Trinity laptop---I'm convinced...AMD is on to something here! That thing is sweet!
http://legitreviews.com/article/1829/1/

I love the line where they say they didn't just show a video of a dx11 game!!! LOL!
Rig#1: Intel i5-3570K, MSI-B75MA-P45 mobo, G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x4gb, MSI-7870 2gd5t/oc gpu, Tt TR2-600w psu, Tt Commander Snow ed. Case, Cooler Master Hyper212+ HSF, OCZ Agility3 SSD 120GB, WE Caviar Black 750GB
Rig#2: AMD Phenom 2-970, MSI-890FXA-GD-65 mobo, 6GB Geil DDR3-1333, HIS Radeon HD6870 1GB gpu, Antec Quattro-850 psu, Rosewill Conqueror Case, Zalman CNPS-9500 hsf, 1TB Toshiba Sata3 HD
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

Maybe $400-$700 gaming laptops. Once you get past that having a dedicated video card with Intel CPU becomes a better option for gaming.

Trinity as AMD tells it will have a 25% faster cpu and 50% faster GPU then Llano, so it will potentially offer the performance of a year old thick somewhat power hungry $800-1000 laptop at $500 with less power while being slimmer.

Which I think will be a huge success for AMD, but it's not really for gamers, unless you're on a really tight mobile budget or looking for high portability where the ultra thin trinity chips, which AMD says will offer the same performance as Llano, would come in.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
ewanqbl
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ewanqbl »

Considering the idea behind APU, Trinity might be a saving grace. If the graphics is any better than the current gpu in the APU's, gaming on, say, a ultrathin laptop might not be that farfetched. I mean, not everyone plays demanding games, and if one could run League of Legends easily, I'd get one of these laptops and be able to set up lan parties easier with my friends. :rolleyes:

I, for one, am thrilled by Trinity. Since it's got similiar design to Piledriver on the CPU side, I am anxious to see that too. :supz: