Should etailers and PC makers show benchmarks?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
AMD-Roy
Legit User
Legit User

Should etailers and PC makers show benchmarks?

Post by AMD-Roy »

hi thanks to everyone who answered yesterday. I have another question for you today. By the way if you want to check out who I am you can find me here; www.linkedin.com/in/roytaylor/

The question is this. Should etailers and PC makers list the benchmark score for the component and PC they are advertising. Because when selling, marketing and negotiating on the business to business end of the industry we always use PC Mark and 3D Mark to compare between everything from APU to CPU to GPU to chipset. Since Futuremark allows for the distribution and use of both benchmarks (so etailers and PC makers could freely distribute them) there is no reason why they could not be used. Users could then test for themselves and verify the benchmark advertised.

Would love to hear your thoughts here.

thanks
Velo:Sity

Re: Should etailers and PC makers show benchmarks?

Post by Velo:Sity »

Absolutely, while one or two benchmarks can't be all and end all, it really helps when you can compare products that way at a glance, without having to remember what exactly hides beneath model numbers of components, with numerous specification that might be on offer.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

As long as they also include real world benchmarks and not the the standard fare, yes. I want to see benchmarks for video compression, etc also, not a lump sum that says my cpu gets this number. I remember certain companies fixing cpus and programs to run better on certain tests to get better numbers but in real world apps the numbers were a lot less exciting :-k

OT: I see this a LOT in the cigar industry where every manufacturer loves to see those numbers published by magazines or sites but a number does nothing to give you an overall feel for the cigar. If you do not tell people everything else about it the number is worthless IMHO. ( I do cigar reviews, hence the cigar reference. Deal with it, smoke a cigar :p lol )
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Velo:Sity

Post by Velo:Sity »

I don't think one should expect a complete and accurate picture anyway, I'd still advise any buyer to do additional research from the point of concrete requirements and intended usage, but it could be useful when sorting and creating short-lists. Much better than sorting by GHz of GB, anyway. :)