Newbie here First attemp 3700+

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
x0dyssey
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Newbie here First attemp 3700+

Post by x0dyssey »

im a little new to attempting to over clock my system. current specs are

Athlon 3700+ 2.2ghz (stock) 2.42ghz (current)<- uses AI OC
Asus A8NSLI Bios Rev 1013
XMS PC3200 1gb Dual Channel
EVGA 7800 GT CO

Id like to get this system to around 3ghz if possible, currently running the nautilus 500 for my Cpu.

but my first attempt went ok i guess... here is a pic

any suggestions on why my HT dropped?

here are my current running using the Asus AI OC

Nothing can have value without being an object of utility.

Karl Marx
road
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

relevant post

Post by road »

This thread seems relevant, and may answer your question:
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about8064.html

""HT" is the Hypertransport bus.
A "bus" is just a pathway for information to flow (PCI & AGP are other kinds of buses). The hypertransport bus is how an AMD CPU communicates with the memory and other parts on the motherboard.
The HT bus (link) is very fast! Since the HT link is used to carry data for just about everything on the board, it must have a good signal at all times. When you overclock anything the signal can degrade, this is why we add more voltage to stabilise things.
When you overclock your CPU your also overclocking the HT link and this causes instability. So if you lower the base speed of the HT link you can overclock the CPU more. The CPU link to HT is independent, so changing the HT multi from 5x to 4x doesn't effect the CPU speed.

So when running 5x your max is normally 230MHz. You should always try to keep the HT link between ~850 & ~1GHz for best performance. "