Socket 939: 3200+ and 3000+

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Socket 939: 3200+ and 3000+

Post by Apoptosis »

Looks like Monarch Computer has some lower cost 90nm Socket 939 processors up for grabs. At roughly $129 and $169 at of the time of posting these processors should bring life back to Socket 939 for the budget buyers. Will be interesting to see how well the 3000+ can overclock. I wonder if we will see something like the original AGOIA stepping Athlon XP core for this new generation processor. Would be nice.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 512K 90nm (939)
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant ... _Code=NA_2

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 512K 90nm (939)

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant ... _Code=NA_2

Changes from 130nm to these 90nm CPU's...
- full SSE3 instruction set implementation, with the exception of the HyperThreading-specific instructions
- improved hardware data prefetch mechanism
- more write-combine buffers
- improved on-die memory controller with more advanced open page policy
- on-die thermal throttling (a la Pentium 4)
- Black Diamond low-k dielectric process
- reduced execution times on some instructions (can convert LEA intructions into ADD instructions in certain situations wich can then be executed in a single clock cycle wich should also give a performence boost in some apps).
Last edited by Apoptosis on Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'm looking to upgrade to socket 939 here pretty soon. This might just help me along the upgrade path........... :twisted:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Just be carefull with these, they look like 90nm Hammers, and they could be low overlcockers. I suspect that is why amd is usig 130nm parts to fill the upper end of their product line.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I've heard that also, I'm not diving right into it............ :shock: I'm going to wait for a few reviews to come out. I've heard that they don't have the manufacturing totally figured out on the 90nm parts yet and their aren't getting the high end yelds that they expected. But you never know, they just might be killer OCers.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

God i hope so because i want an A64 system sooo bad, but i cant fork out that kind of cash and a good low end overclocker would make me sooo happy.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

You and me both my friend................... 8)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Just read my first review of the new 90 NM 939 CPU from AMD (A64 3000). Seems the chip performs about even with the 754pin A64 1.8 GHz at a slightly higher price................They do seem to OC firely well on the first go around getting a 12.5% OC at stock volts and cooling (225x9). They seem like they might just be the way to get in on the socket 939 on the cheap.

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=m ... =63&page=1
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

I might just have to start selling drugs or my body so i can save up for one of these. still looking at getting another skt A system as well, with nForce ultra 400 mobos coming in under $50 and a xp-m 2400 at $75 you have the basic parts of a killer little overclocker. good for folding.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

The 90nm Winchesters only have SSE3 instruction set while the new "REv. E" Wichesters (Venice core) will have SSE3 instrucitons.

The advantage to getting the 3200 over the 3000 is that you get access to the 10x multiplier vs. the 9x on the 3000. This gives you more overclocking options and headroom so your results won't be so dependant on your RAM.

EDIT: Just noticed that this is kindof an old thread, but the information is still pertinent:)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

very very good information, and yes , very pertinent. thanks for the post. i personally recommend the 3500+ as with stock cooling it is capable of 2.4 to 2.6 GHZ. I have tried both the 3200 and 3000 and the 3500 is the easiest to work with for the masses.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

weeellll, it kinda depends on what you classify as the masses...

There's basically overclockers and then everyone else. If you're not an overclocker, then the 3500 is a good choice, but for an overclocker, it is also a good choice, but the fact that it costs almost $100 more than the 3200 is kindof a turnoff; especially since it is not too hard to find some good TCCD based RAM that will run 260mhz 1:1 for a nice overclock of 2600mhz on the 3200 :mrgreen:

So I would have to agree with you that the 3500 is a great chip, but if it were more reasonably priced within range of the 3200 and 3000 it might be a little more viable alternative.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

well i just ordered a 3000+ winchester and i think i can push it up to at least 2.5 and maybe higher depending on the steping.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

infinitevalence wrote:well i just ordered a 3000+ winchester and i think i can push it up to at least 2.5 and maybe higher depending on the steping.
NICE! Where'd you get it from? Let us know how it goes! :mrgreen:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

a couple of things. First What I was implying was that the 3500 is the best price/performance CPU for the everyday user, probably not for the O/C expert like you Infinite.
Second, I'm hearing from alot of people that the newer Winchester available on the market are not O/Cing very well....not sure if that is accurate, but when it comes from more than 5 people who know what they are doing...it makes me wonder.

Post by Guest »

capper5016 wrote:Second, I'm hearing from alot of people that the newer Winchester available on the market are not O/Cing very well....not sure if that is accurate, but when it comes from more than 5 people who know what they are doing...it makes me wonder.
I have also heard mixed results about the OC'ing potential of newer winny's :?
But still some are good: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=364223
and some are not so good: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=365963
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

mine is comming from ZZF so we shall see,

and capper your right some people are getting bad chips, seems like many of the new winchester cores are failing prime/superIP stress testing. it seems like the week 0447 are some of the best performers i will likely end up with an 05xx of some sort so i will let you know. If i can hit 2.5 i will be happy, i have realistic understanding that when your OCing its luck of the draw. I got a bum xp-m it just does not like going over 2.4 but i still got a 400mhz overclock on it so in all it was worth while. I hope that the 3000+ will hold me over until the venice cores come out and drop into the lower price brackets.
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

ive got a 3200 cbbid 0501dpcw (from zzf) i cant only get it to 2.45 prime stable for 8+ hours. it can do close to 2.6 3d mark stable and about 2.5 prime stable for 5.5ish hours. i need 1.56 (volts read by the monitor not bios setting) to hit that 2.45. my 10x multi really doesnt like going past 245 fsb 1:1 especially.

this is done with an ultra-d and an enermax 460 watt eps (on loan) with my 2x512 pqi and an msi 6600gt. cooled by an xp-90 with an sanyo denki rated at 55cfm @ 36dba.

im halfway tempted to go to a local shop (weirdly enough theres only one around that sells the 3200) and see if they've got any older ones to try.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

A couple of weeks ago i killed my 3500+ winnie....it was running stable at 2.8GHz on AIR!!!! Ran great for an entire day of testing and HL@, then took a giant crap on me. I picked up a 3200+ from Fry's....and it wouldn't run 2.4 stable, regardless of memory timings or voltage, I just got another 3500+ replacement, and it will run 2.6GHz, but I'm water cooling it and really loosened the timings to get there.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

yeah thats kinda what im thinking too, take a look at the code and then see if i can swap with a local shop. The only problem there is that they want 199 for a 3000+